Before installing Toad, ensure that your client system meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements:
600 MHz minimum, 1 GHz recommended
512 MB of RAM minimum, 1 GB recommended
Note: The memory required may vary based on the following:
- Applications that are running on your system when using Toad for SQL Server
- Size and complexity of the database
- Amount of database activity
- Number of concurrent users accessing the database
Hard Disk Space
104 MB to run Toad for SQL Server
Note: The disk space required may vary based on the edition of Toad selected for installation.
Windows Server 2003
Windows XP Professional (32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows Vista (32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows Server 2008 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Important: Toad uses the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC) when opening a SQL file to get Full-Text Search status, but DTC is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7. If you are using either operating system, ensure that Network DTC access is enabled on the Toad client. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753510(WS.10).aspx for more information about enabling DTC access.
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
Note: The .NET Framework Client Profile is not supported.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
Copy/Move Database Wizard
The SQL Server Backward Compatibility package is required to use the Copy/Move Database wizard.
The Log Reader requires version 8.0 DLL files in the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package. If these files do not exist on the client, you will need to install them to use some functionality in the Log Reader.
Before installing Toad, ensure that your server meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements:
Limited support of SQL Server 2000 (Service Pack 3 or later)
Note: The following features are not available:
- Index Defragmentation
- Storage Management
- Performance Monitor
- Project Lucy Performance Analytics
- Altering procedures, functions, views in the Editor
- Version Control
SQL Server 2005 (Service Pack 2 or later) and SQL Server 2005 Express
SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Express
SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2 Express
SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012 Express
Note: SQL Server Compact Edition is not supported.
|Cloud Database Service|
Note: To be able to utilize majority of Toad functionality please grant VIEW DEFINITION on the SQL Azure databases you want to work with.
Limited testing has been performed for Citrix XenApp 5.0 on Windows Server 2003 and Citrix XenApp 6.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2.
Limited testing has been performed for Citrix support on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Server (Service Pack 2) using the MetaFrame Presentation Server 5.0 and Citrix Presentation Server Clients 10.2.
|Desktop Virtualization (VDI)|
Toad has been tested with Quest vWorkspace 7.6 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit.
Note: Toad may work in virtualization environments other than the ones in which it was tested.
User Requirements to Install Toad
Only Windows Administrators and Power Users can install Toad.
If an Administrator installs Toad, the Administrator can share the Toad shortcut icon on the desktop and menu items with any user—a Power User, Restricted User, Vista standard user—on the computer.
If a Power User installs Toad, a Restricted User cannot do the following:
- Associate file extensions.
- View the Toad shortcut icon on the desktop or the Toad menu options in the Windows Start menu. As a workaround, Restricted Users can create a shortcut to Toad from the install directory and place the shortcut on their desktop.
User Requirements and Restrictions for Running Toad
The following describes the requirements and restrictions for users who launch and run Toad:
- To create or modify the QuestSoftware.ToadSecurity table to enable Toad Security, the user who maintains this table must have privileges to create, insert, update, and delete it. All other users need only the ability to read the QuestSoftware.ToadSecurity table to use Toad Security features.