This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Archive Manager - migrating to cloud email archive. How/what do I do to make AM a read only system for historical email?

AM was installed prior to my starting with the company.  We have been running AM for some time and am in the process to moving archiving over to a cloud provider. 

I want to be able to keep the AM system in place as a read only system for finding historical email.  I have followed tech doc 31011 to stop AM from creating entries for newly created users from AD, but can't seem to find any other documentation for switching off journaling etc.

AM is journaling all email for a local exchange system (Exchange 2010) in the single site model.  What do I need to do to stop the journaling processes and make the system a historical email lookup system?

Many thanks

DC

• Hello rsice,

To stop journaling, please open the Archive Manager Web Console and from Administration click on "Data Loaders".

From this screen you can click on the Edit button (in blue) beside the MAPI Dataloader that is configured to connect to your Journal mailbox.

From within the MAPI Dataloader screen, uncheck "Active" and click Update.

The MAPI Dataloader will no longer login to the specified Journal Mailbox and retrieve items.

Also, you would want to keep in mind that your Journal Rule in Microsoft Exchange or Exchange Online may still be active, which could potentially fill up that journal mailbox so you may want to disable that rule as well but that is up to you.

If you do not want new mail items to be added to the Archive Manager Database what you can do is Stop and Disable the 'Archive Manager Exchange Store Manager' and 'Archive Manager Data Loader' Service. If they're set to disabled then ESM will not attempt to scan user mailboxes that used to exist and the Data Loader will not be scanning the Journal Mailbox.

However, you may still have items located in the Export folder on the Archive Manager machine;

E.g. C:\Dell\ArchiveManager\Export by default.

In that case if you do have new items listed in the Export folder and if you want to archive them, you would want to keep the Data Loader Service running for now so that it uses the "File System" Data Loader type (listed in Data Loaders node), to scan the Export folder and import the items into the mailbox.

In short- if you want to disable scanning of the Journal Mailbox itself, unselect "Active" under the 'MAPI Data Loader' that is configured to connect to the Journal mailbox from the Data Loaders Node in the Webconsole.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Dave
  • David,

Apologies for the late thanks and reply, but we've been doing other migratory work and I cam just getting around to this.

Just to confirm we no longer want the Archive Manager from scanning mailboxes and removing old email. We also no longer want AM to journal email. However if anyone logs into the AM system to find a historic journaled email prior to Journaling being switched on in the replacement cloud service they would want to be able to mail it back to themselves and/or forward it onto another user.

Can you advise as to what I need to leave and what to disable from both the AM server side and the Exchange (2010) side?

Thanks again.

Richard