This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Foglight 5.8.5 - SQL Server Deadlock data retention at 3 days??

Hi All,

I'm new to the Foglight community and this is my first post - please be gentle. I'm looking into Deadlocks on SQL Server and have noticed that the retention for deadlock information is 3 days, which seems a bit short.

I've tried to see where in Retention Policies and Object Cleanup this might be set but I can't determine where it is and how to change it. Any advice on how to (or even if I should) increase the number of days I see Deadlocks for?

Thanks

Keegan

• Hi Keegan,

The retention policies can vary depending on the different versions of the FMS and cartridges. In this example you might be referring to the one of the recent 5.7.5 FMS versions (i.e. 5.7.5.6).

The default Data Retention policy is set for Long term with these settings:

• Raw data is rolled into 15 minute averages and is stored for 3 days
    • After 3 days the 15-minute averages are rolled into hourly averages and stored for 2 weeks
    • After 2 weeks, the hourly average is rolled into 4-hour averages and stored indefinitely

Knowledgebase article 88382 provides specific information on modifying a retention policy per topology object.

As well, additional assistance can be provided from Support by opening a Service Request.

John

• Hi John,

There are a bunch of versions in the Cartridge Inventory - the specific version for DB_SQL_Server is 5.7.5.35 - so that matches closely with what you have indicated. The link you provided below - I dont have permissions to see, ill raise a request with support for that one.

Just would like some more clarification - I *think* I understand the rollup process, that being 15 mins being stored for 3 days, then rolled up to hourly averages etc - but after 3 days there is no deadlocking information. Its just gone. The count of deadlocks is the same for all history as it is for 3 days. The graph is clearly empty too prior to 3 days ago.

This is on the Databases-->Overview-->SQL Activity-->Deadlocks screen. Am I supposed to be viewing the rolled up data in another manner?

Thanks
    Keegan
  • The 5.7.5.35 SQL Server cartridge that was released a couple weeks back and is the newest release. I checked an SQL Server instance on one of my systems using the same cartridge and can see deadlocks from five days ago.

I would recommend opening a Support Case to check this as there are a few items that could be reviewed such as the retention settings or whether SQL PI is used to collect data (as SQL PI uses a different repository to store historical data than the main Foglight FMS repository).

John
  • Hi John,

Problem is - I can't raise a support request as it appears there is something wrong with my account. Anyway I have gone to my contact in sales and hopefully they should be able to sort my account out and we'll go from there.

Thanks for your help thus far - once its resolved ill post the resolution in this post for the sake of completeness.

Keegan