This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Looking for tip, tricks, suggestions, and gotchas

I am about to embark on a project to convert our custom backup solution to litespeed and I'm looking for any tips, tricks, or gotchas from the community.

Our environment is 50 instances of SQL SERVER 2012, 2014, and 2016, approximately 2000 databases ranging in size from 2GB to 3TB.

We currently and would like to keep the following backup routine.

For Full recovery: Weekly Full, Nightly Diff, T-Log every 15 minutes

For Simple recovery: Weekly Full, Nightly Diff

For Read Only: Currently we do a full any time the database comes out of ReadOnly status or yearly.  We'd like to change that to a 1% Change through litespeed and a yearly Full.

I know there are features of litespeed that would allow us to do differentials based on change etc but it will take time to get approval from our auditors so right now it is as straight a changeover as we can do.

Features I am curious about that I plan on using, Writing to 2 locations at once, Maintenance Plans vs Jobs, Object Level Recovery.

Any suggestions on how to do a roll out for an environment our size?

Any other interesting information people have discovered would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Parents
  • Hello,

First off, I would recommend using remote deploy to push the install to your SQL servers.

Also you may wish to consider using backup templates as a tool to migrate your backup jobs from your current solution to Litepseed. You then have the choice to deploy the backup templates as either a SQL agent job or maintenance plan. The deployment wizard can also be used to offset the run times of the jobs as you deploy them across your servers.

For OLR I recommend using the option “optimize object level recovery speed” when setting up the backup jobs. This will help reduce the time an OLR operation runs as it puts some OLR work on the front end (during backup creation) vs. the back end (during the table recovery process) if that option is not used.

If you wish to copy the backups to two locations at once I would review using the mirror option which will allow you to copy to multiple locations.

You may also wish to use Fast Compression to reduce the number of full backups as it can be setup to only take full backups when certain criteria , such as percentage change , are met. This is also the tool I would recommend using for your “read only” jobs if you only wish to force a full backup once a year or after a percentage change level is reached.

Hope this helps,
    -Ben-

• Hello,

First off, I would recommend using remote deploy to push the install to your SQL servers.

Also you may wish to consider using backup templates as a tool to migrate your backup jobs from your current solution to Litepseed. You then have the choice to deploy the backup templates as either a SQL agent job or maintenance plan. The deployment wizard can also be used to offset the run times of the jobs as you deploy them across your servers.

For OLR I recommend using the option “optimize object level recovery speed” when setting up the backup jobs. This will help reduce the time an OLR operation runs as it puts some OLR work on the front end (during backup creation) vs. the back end (during the table recovery process) if that option is not used.

If you wish to copy the backups to two locations at once I would review using the mirror option which will allow you to copy to multiple locations.

You may also wish to use Fast Compression to reduce the number of full backups as it can be setup to only take full backups when certain criteria , such as percentage change , are met. This is also the tool I would recommend using for your “read only” jobs if you only wish to force a full backup once a year or after a percentage change level is reached.

Hope this helps,
    -Ben-

Children
No Data