This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Log reader not supporting native compression!!?

Hi, I purchased Toad for SQL server professional to get the log reader functionality to read offline transaction log files instead of using SQL profiler to view the activity on the database, I now find that I cannot use it as we use native compression!! This makes this functionality useless to me, as we use compression across the board......

1. Who would not use native compression with their backups?

2. Do I now have to change all my backup maintenance plans to make use of this tool

This is very frustrating, why can't native compressed backups be accessed? Is this just a way to sell another product?

:(

• Hello,

I cannot speak for TOAD. But the next version of Litespeed is currently planned to support all SQL 2016 native compression options, So you may wish to use that for reading SQL Log files that are compressed.

Thanks,
    -Ben-

• When asking this question on the Toad site it directs you here to ask the LiteSpeed team why this functionality does not exist, and to ask for support of it, so I assume it is developed by the LiteSpeed team?

Ben, are you from the LiteSpeed team? (expecting radio silence) ;)
  • Hello,

Without more details I cannot offer you a more detailed answer.
    I would suggest opening a support case for further help.

But please note that Litespeed does not support TDE compression in SQL 2016 due to a bug in SQL that will be addressed in a Microsoft update .

Thanks,
    -Ben-
  • This is not 2016 or TDE, just SQL server native backup compression (all versions), and not encryption.

Other third parties have this functionality (ability to read native compressed backups)
  • FYI this link from Toad referring me here:

support.quest.com/.../137096

Quote from the page " Log Reader is a component managed by the LiteSpeed team. To submit request and feedback regarding Log Reader and support for native compressed files, please visit the forums here: www.quest.com/.../forum This is monitored by the product management team. Request and community feedback/support can be shared there. "
  • Hello

I would suggest using the next version of Litepseed (8.7) rather than TOAD for what you are trying to do.

You are proably using the newest TOAD and not row compression or page compression in your database. But just simply a compressed backup (In this case version of SQL does not matter).
    It was not supported currently because Litespeed compression is the tool we recommend be used to created SQL compressed backups. Please note that Log reader is designed as a part of Litespeed first, but is shared with the TOAD team.

Aagin I Would suggest using the next version of Litespeed in your case.

Hope that helps,
    -Ben-
  • One other note...

I assume that once the newest version of Litespeed is released that the TOAD team at that point will update the version of LOG reader they use in one of their newer releases.

Hope that helps,
    -Ben-
  • And just to be clear :)

I recommend the next version of Litespeed for creating the compressed backups that log reader can then be used to read. And as said before the next version will also include support for TDE compressed backups in SQL 2016 if that is something of interest to you.

If you need further help with this issue or have additional questions or concerns please open a support case.

Thanks,
    -Ben-