This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Netvault Data Copy Questions | Version 11.0.0.52

Hello there! 

I need some help guys, will try and be descriptive as possible: 

I have 10 tapes with a minimum capacity of 15tb (1.5TB each and 3TB with compression)
I want to data copy the deduped sets which are roughly 12tb in total
I want to know if the data copy copies the deduped backup set to tape

Reason being I see on the tapes it is showing the non-deduped size of the backup sets once the copy to tape is done
I really don't think that the data is being taken back to it's original form/size and then copied over
I would just like to confirm/have my sanity checked here.

If anything is not clear or some clarity is needed please don't hesitate to ask a question! 

Thanks a mil in advance! 

Rogan

• Oh some more info I write the backups to the DR4300 using Netvault and then use Netvault data copy to copy the data to tape.
  • Hello Rogan,

Dedupe data will need to be Re-hydrated, meaning; Inflated back to it's original size if it is to be backed up to Tape Drive as tape Drives have no Dedupe capabilities.

Thanks,

Scott K.
  • Hi Rogan....to add to what Scott has said, is it 12TB of data post dedupe or pre dedupe?

If it is post dedupe then you check the dedupe ratio(through DR Web UI) that you are getting for the 12TB of deduped data stored on the DR and using that you will be able to calculate the hydrated size of the data sets and thus figure out how many tapes would be needed to data copy all of the data from the DR.

If the 12TB is pre-dedupe then it will still be 12TB when it is re-hydrated so you will have enough tapes already.

Cheers,

Graham
  • Thanks Scott! That is pretty much the explanation I was looking for. Is there any tape device you know of with dedupe capabilities? I'll google around in the meantime.
  • Hi Graham,

That is 12TB post dedupe so yes all the data will not fit on the tapes unfortunately, we have an estimate of what the data size is pre-dedupe and was a big part of gettingt the DR4300 and netvault, next challenge now is more tapes and a faster tape device :D

Thanks for the info!

Cheers
  • Hello Rogan,

Deduplication Devices currently come in Software Application form such as our NetVault SmartDisk or Dell Series DR and EMC Data Domain for example. In looking myself for Physical Tape, I looked around and did not see Tape Drive currently available
    with Dedupe capabilities.

Thanks,

Scott K.
  • Thanks Scott,

Aaah ok, will have to double down and get some more media to hold the re-hydrated data sets. I will look into it a bit further and see if there is some kind of workaround... Tape devices with dedupe capabilities would curb this limitation.

Thanks again for the clear explanation .

Cheers