This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Backup life settings best experience

Hi,

I'm struggling with the backup life settings for my data sets on disk.

I can't get this to work properly; either jobs are purged from disk which shouldn't have or jobs are still on disk while they should be purged.

For example I often see that there are daily jobs on disk but without the preceding full job. So these daily jobs are useless to keep on disk.

So I'm wondering what other users have for backup life settings; based on full backup count or based on time or both, with or without force expiry.

My situation:

Full backup runs on Friday night = weekly backup

Incremental backup runs on Monday-Thursday night = daily backup

Backup is disk > disk > tape, used tapes are taken home each night.

I can divide the data on disk in 2 groups :

Group 1 - my file server: I want to be able to restore data from disk up to 2 weeks old. This server has it's own 'advanced backup options' for daily and weekly jobs.

Group 2 - all other servers: it is enough to restore data from disk up to 1 week old. These servers all use the same 'advanced backup options'.

Example:

On Tuesday Jan 10th, I want to restore a file from a server in group 2 from Wednesday Jan 4th.

To use the daily jobs from Wednesday Jan 4th, I would need the preceding full backup from Friday Dec 30th as well. So I would need to have 2 full backup sets on disk to be able to restore data from 1 week old,  full backup from Friday Dec 30th +  full backup from Friday Jan 6th. Correct?

In your opinion, what would be the correct backup life settings to accomplish this (both for the daily and weekly jobs) ?

Regards,

Richard

Parents
  • Hello Richard,

As Andre mentioned earlier, to restore data from the Inc (daily) on the 4th you would need the Full from the 30th in which it is tied to and if it's an Inc and not a diff backup you would want the Inc backups done after the 30th up to the 4th, the 2nd and 3rd of January basically, to be available to you to restore. The full run after this set on the 6th is a new set separate from the previous full on the 30th and is not needed to read from to complete this restore from the 4th.

Group 1 you stated was setup to expire after 3 full backups.
    Group 2 you stated was setup to expire after 2 full backups.

So let's use the Full from the 30th of Dec. as an example. If this was run when the expiry was setup to the 3 fulls it will only expire after the 3rd full is run and completed and stored.

Having chanced the settings from 3 to 2 weeks will only apply to the jobs run after you made this change. It will not affect the Dec 30th. full job.

So for a full detail of how the generation retirement off the Dec 30th. the full would need to expire in the following manner.
    Full stored on Dec 30th.
    Full run the following Friday Jan 6th. (1st full count).
    Full run the following Friday Jan 13th. (2nd full count).
    Full run the following Friday Jan 20th. (3rd full count is stored and triggers expiry of the Dec 30th full).
    If you look at this further you will always need available disk space to be able to hold 4 full backups with a life set to 3 full backups. Because of this we'd more often recommend using the time based retirement with days/weeks/months, etc. count as your not obligated to have as much disk storage availability.
    The date arrives and it's expired off media.

The new retirement rules in place will have an effect over the selected 3 full or 2 week retirement of backups. They are the following;

Retire all backups when the last backup is retired.
    Retire all backups when the first backup is retired.
    As Andre mentioned these options are explained in our latest 11.2 Administrator guide starting on page 82.

2 weeks expiration;
    Placing the current full for 2 weeks backup life and it's associated incs with no life upon them, using the retirement rule of, "Retire all backups when the first backup is retired", should clear each of your fulls along with associated incs out every 14 days.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Scott K.
  • Hello Richard,

As Andre mentioned earlier, to restore data from the Inc (daily) on the 4th you would need the Full from the 30th in which it is tied to and if it's an Inc and not a diff backup you would want the Inc backups done after the 30th up to the 4th, the 2nd and 3rd of January basically, to be available to you to restore. The full run after this set on the 6th is a new set separate from the previous full on the 30th and is not needed to read from to complete this restore from the 4th.

Group 1 you stated was setup to expire after 3 full backups.
    Group 2 you stated was setup to expire after 2 full backups.

So let's use the Full from the 30th of Dec. as an example. If this was run when the expiry was setup to the 3 fulls it will only expire after the 3rd full is run and completed and stored.

Having chanced the settings from 3 to 2 weeks will only apply to the jobs run after you made this change. It will not affect the Dec 30th. full job.

So for a full detail of how the generation retirement off the Dec 30th. the full would need to expire in the following manner.
    Full stored on Dec 30th.
    Full run the following Friday Jan 6th. (1st full count).
    Full run the following Friday Jan 13th. (2nd full count).
    Full run the following Friday Jan 20th. (3rd full count is stored and triggers expiry of the Dec 30th full).
    If you look at this further you will always need available disk space to be able to hold 4 full backups with a life set to 3 full backups. Because of this we'd more often recommend using the time based retirement with days/weeks/months, etc. count as your not obligated to have as much disk storage availability.
    The date arrives and it's expired off media.

The new retirement rules in place will have an effect over the selected 3 full or 2 week retirement of backups. They are the following;

Retire all backups when the last backup is retired.
    Retire all backups when the first backup is retired.
    As Andre mentioned these options are explained in our latest 11.2 Administrator guide starting on page 82.

2 weeks expiration;
    Placing the current full for 2 weeks backup life and it's associated incs with no life upon them, using the retirement rule of, "Retire all backups when the first backup is retired", should clear each of your fulls along with associated incs out every 14 days.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Scott K.
Children
No Data