This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Manually Uninstall NetVault 11.2 for Windows

We recently updated our NetVault Backup client on our Windows Server infrastructure.

On one particular server - the update has half-applied. The install looks to have created files in the install directory, but the uninstall.exe is 0 bytes and does nothing. It also doesn't appear to have registered in Control Panel, as I am unable to uninstall it from here.

Is there a method for removing the client to then perform a reinstall? I have done the following:

- Rerun the installer in the server's current state. The installer complains an existing newer or current version already exists, so the installation is detected.

- Remove the NetVault install directory and rerun the installer. The installer complains that it detects a NetVault client already installed, but cannot determine the version.

Is there a removal tool I can use to clear the orphaned installation?

Thanks for help in advance!

Kind regards

Russell

• I am running into the same issue. If I find anything will be sure to let you know.
  • Hi Russell,

I am sorry you ran into this issue during the upgrade.

If you can, you should be able to uninstall from the command line, or from the NetVault directory in Windows Explorer.
    On the root of the NV Directory there will be an uninstall.exe, see if you can run this and uninstall it that way. It is possible that a partial upgrade did not deploy this, but if so, it should be the way to do it.

Before this though, I would remove the client from NetVault. It will likely require a 'Force Remove' after it tries the initial remove, but once done, then proceed with the uninstall and reinstall.
    Keep in mind you will have to deploy any 3rd party plugins you had on this client, such as Exchange, SQL, VMware, etc...if you had them and reconfigure them again.
    One thing I would also advise is that when it asks for a client name, give it the same name as it used originally, this way you don't have to modify your existing jobs.

Lastly, you can just install with the version you were planning on upgrading to, no need to run the original version and then upgrade.
  • Hi tflint,

Please see below for the possible solution to the issue as well. Let me know if you run into any problems.
  • I don't mean to hijack Russell's thread, but I believe both he and I are having the same issue. The install failed before it could create the uninstaller. The uninstall.exe file located in the nv folder root is 0 bytes. Cannot run uninstall, and when trying to reinstall the installer fails stating there is already an install on the machine. I tried the same reinstall steps that Russell listed above with the same results.
  • Ah...So, that uninstaller should actually work, but since its deployed during an install/upgrade, it sounds like it was part of the package that didn't deploy correctly.

So, what I would do in this case is the following:
    -If there is any type of Service that was created for NetVault that is running, stop this service.
    -Delete the entire NetVault directory under its install path.
    -Open regedit
    -Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software >Dell > Delete entry for NetVault Backup
    -Look for folder Netvault Ltd - Delete Entry
    -Go to WOW6432 Node
    -Delete anything related to NetVault there as well there may be a Bakbone Software and NetVault ltd - delete these.

Reboot and and reinstall.
    Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
    Andre
  • Excellent. I am glad that helped you. I hope it helps Russell as well.

• Heya - thank you both for your input - this appeared to work for me also! I will document these steps in case it happens again! Thanks so much for your help!
  • hi..i just received this error but when i try to reinstall the linux machine..any step to overcome this on linux environment? Thank