What's the difference between Windwos Hybrid and Pure64 releases ?

Hi,

Could someone explain me what are difference because when it's not possible to upgrade from one to the other.

Regards

• Hi. The difference between the Windows Hybrid and Pure64 releases of NetVault is that the Pure64 build deploys only 64bit .dlls upon install and they cannot upgrade existing 32bit .dlls.
    Also, typically, Hybrid builds by default are deployed to "Program Files(x86)" paths while PURE is deployed to "Program Files" default.

That being said, it is possible to upgrade to Pure64 if you use a specific approach.
    Here is is below:
    The procedure would have to be done via the following method.
    1. Backup current NetVault DB
    2. Upgrade to Hybrid NetVault Server 11.x
    3. Backup NVDB again with 11.x Hybrid
    4. Uninstall Hybrid Windows NV Server 11.x
    5. Install NV 11.2 Pure 64 build
    6. Restore NVDB using the NVDB Restore Procedure from the NetVault Built-In Plugin Users Guide.
  • Hello,

nice to find that interesting post. I supervise many Netvault servers. All Netvault servers are running the hybrid Netvault version (just updating the old ones and having the new ones running the same version). I know the advantages of 64bit applications and hardware. However, a large Netvault installation do not require a lot of RAM on the Netvault servers. Is there any best practise or case study where the Netvault server has to be pure64?

For Netvault clients with large filesystems and new installations I selected the pure64 version and its running fine. However, I cannot see a big difference compared to the 32 bit clients.

How about the availability of plugins? I noticed that NDMP Plugin 11.1 is only available in pure64. Now I worry about future releases for NDMP or other plugins will not be available in 32 bits...

Glad to hear advise or further expertise.
  • Hi again
    I think the main aspect of using the Pure64 build is to mainly address memory usage whereas Pure64 builds can utilize more memory than their 32bit counterparts.
    I don't know you would see a huge difference unless there would be a difference to see in the first place. In other words, if you had an Exchange Server that was on a 64bit server and the client was running sluggish on it in some aspect, or the Exchange Plugin was slow to load, then you upgraded to the Pure64bit client and Pure64 Exchange Plugin, you may notice a difference in response in some cases.
    That being said, NV only really uses a systems shared memory, and by default, its allocated pretty low. You could increase it in the "Performance" settings in the UI which may help utilize more, but at the end of the day, I am not sure the differences are going to be glaringly noticeable.
    That is not to say that you shouldn't install a Pure64 build on 64bit server. As I said, it does allow for more memory usage, so it definitely has the capacity to use more if it is NEEDED.

As far as the availability, most plugins will offer a 32bit build as long as those applications offer 32bit builds. However, there will be some that will move to only 64bit, this is when the plugins will also move to a only 64bit offering.
  • The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. Processor calls data from Memory i.e. RAM by giving its address to MAR (Memory Address Register). Selector electronics then finds that address in the memory bank and retrieves the data and puts it in MDR (Memory Data Register) This data is recorded in one of the Registers in the Processor for further processing. Thats why size of Data Bus determines the size of Registers in Processor. Now, if my processor has 32 bit register, it can call data of 4 bytes size only, at a time. And if the data size exceeds 32 bits, then it would required two cycles of fetching to have the data in it. This slows down the speed of 32 bit Machine compared to 64 bit, which would complete the operation in ONE fetch cycle only. So, obviosly for the smaller data, it makes no difference if my processors are clocked at the same speed. Again, with 64 bit processor and 64 bit OS, my instructions will be of 64 bit size always... which unnecessarily uses up more memory space.