This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Step-by-step instruction to change tape from NetVault

Hi. I got a bit confused what actually the right way or the right step-by-step that should be followed when to change the tape in tape library that connected to NetVault Backup Server since i'm not very familiar handle a tape library.

Let's say if my environment have 1 NetVault Backup Server version 11.x that connected directly with tape libary (Dell, quantum, etc) as first target. And the tape library is have 3 drive (drive1, drive2 and drive3). So, let say if i want to remove 1 tape that located in one of slot in the drive1, can anyone guide me what are the right step-by-step need to be done firstly in the Netvault Backup Console WebUI since i got confused when read in admin guide.

Hope anyone can guide me the right way on this matter. Thanks

• Hi,
    If you are trying to physically remove the tape from the library, in many cases the libraries have an EE (Entry-Exit) port that allows you to unload a tape to export/import it. If you library has one of these, you can simply highlight the tape you want to export and click "Export" - it will send the tape to the port so you can retrieve it.

In other cases, the library door will have to be physically opened to remove media. In this situation, you have to issue an "Open Door" command from "Manage Devices" in NetVault. To do this, click on the "settings" button to the right of the Library name, and go into Settings. You then click on "Open Door" and it will release the SCSI lock that is on the library, allowing you to remove media.

Referencing what you said in your comment: "say if i want to remove 1 tape that located in one of slot in the drive1"
    Note in this case you would just have to go to the Library an eject the tape in this case. Some libraries however may not allow tape ejection in that manner, so you may have to unload the tape into a slot first, and then issue an "Open Door" command so you can pull the tape from the Slot Inventory. Typically though, you should be able to remove a tape from a Drive if needed, but its normally only when a tape is stuck.

If you need more details on this, and we would be happy to help. Please contact the NetVault Support team and we can walk you through some of these steps.