This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

<BR/> tags in plaintext multiline fields

We are seeing <BR/> tags in multiline fields migrated to a PlainText multiline field in SharePoint. 

We do not have this issue if target field is a Rich Text. 

What is the best way to replace <BR/> with line breaks? Is there a way to replace part of or complete string, during mapping? 

Product Details: 

- Migrator for Notes to SharePoint (Version : 6.7.0.2296)

- Target environment - SharePoint Online

Thank you.

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in the Migrator for Notes to SharePoint (MNSP) forum. I understand you are experiencing issues with extra <BR/> tags in migrated data. I will need some additional information to better assist you:

1.) What is the Source Data Definition you are using?

2.) What is the format of the source data in Notes? Is this Notes Rich Text?

3.) In the MNSP Designer, if you go to the Notes tab and click the Preview button under Source Data Definition, what does the source data look like? If you click on the source field, then Raw Text View, are there <BR/> tags in this view?

4.) What is the Target Data Definition?
  • Hi Trevor,

I appreciate quick response here. Here are answers:

1.) We are using Document Library as Source Data Definition.

2.) The format of source data (Notes) is plain text. I did verify earlier, it is not a Rich Text field. <BR/> tags are coming from the line breaks at the Source.

3.) - I do not have access to Notes at this point. I will be able to confirm this tomorrow.

4.) Target Data Definition is a Custom List.

Thank you!
  • I am able verify the Source Data preview. I do not see any <BR/> tags in the preview - it is showing line breaks as expected.

I tried changing Source Field Type to "HTMLString", instead of "String". It removes the <BR/> tags, but also removes the line breaks.

Let me know if any suggestions.

Thanks!
  • Thanks for the updates. Based on my investigation of this issue, it appears that Migrator for Notes to SharePoint (MNSP) is detecting this source Notes field as RichText. You can override this detection by using the following steps:

1.) Open MNSP Designer.
    2.) Click the Notes tab.
    3.) Edit the Source Data Definition.
    4.) Click Data Fields.
    5.) Highlight the field with the issue.
    6.) Change the ColumnType to Item.
    7.) Click the SharePoint tab.
    8.) Edit the Target Data Definition.
    9.) Click Data Fields.
    10.) Highlight the target field.
    11.) Set the Target Type to Text.
    12.) Set Multi Line to True.
    13.) Either delete the column from the SharePoint list, to allow MNSP to create it with these new settings, or manually change the Column type directly within SharePoint.
    14.) Try Migrating again with "Delete current SharePoint List items" selected on the SharePoint tab.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarification.
  • Thank you Trevor! This solved the issue.

I had column setup as Item in Source. At target was setup as "Note", instead of "Text".

After changing field type in target, line breaks are coming as expected.