This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

If you have change a label on the Goolge source mail item and migrate that mailbox again, will this duplicate the message on the target? i.e new folder representing the label with a copy of the message?

If you have change a label on the Goolge source mail item and migrate that mailbox again, will this duplicate  the message on the target? i.e new folder representing the label with a copy of the message?

• Hello v-surand,

Thank you for posting in the On Demand Migration for Email (ODME) forum. If I understand your question correctly, you are describing the following scenario:

1.) Perform a first-pass migration with ODME.
    2.) End-user renames a label in his or her Google Apps mailbox. For example, we will say they renamed "Label1" to "Label2".
    3.) Another second-pass migration is performed.
    4.) The end-user still has the "Label1" folder in his target mailbox with all of the email from the first-pass, but now also has "Label2" with some of the same emails, which could be seen a "duplicates" from the second-pass.

By default, ODME migrates Google Apps labels to folders. Google Apps Labels are considered containers. If a label name (container) is changed in the source, then ODME sees this as a new container and migrates the data.

ODME includes duplicate detection logic, but for best migration performance, this logic only checks the source container name within the target mailbox to see if data has already been migrated. If ODME was to check every container in the target mailbox for each mail item, then there would be a significant migration performance penalty.

If you are performing a multi-pass migration, then we would recommend instructing end-users to try and make minimal changes to the source mailbox container structure during the migration project.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarification.

• You are very welcome v-surand. Please let us know if you run into any other issues or have any other questions.