BMR boot CD

Appassure 5.4.3.106

I need to test a BMR for a physical server. Do I have to create a boot CD via Appassure or can I just use an OS CD i already have?

Thx

• Yes, you must use the AppAssure boot cd as it must have the AppAssure Recovery Console in it to make the connection with the core and be able to restore the data.

Here's a link to the BMR section of the user guide - documents.software.dell.com/.../launching-a-bare-metal-restore-for-windows.

Tim

• Hi alices:

You need to create an AppAssure boot CD as it has the built in the. Universal Recovery Console which allows connected the target machine with the core, inject any possibly needed drivers and and perform the actual restore.

You may check a BMR a video here: www.youtube.com/watch and a KB article here: support.software.dell.com/.../118156

• Can I pre-create this to have it on hand?

• Yes.  You just need to make sure you have the storage controller driver and the network card driver injected into the boot cd when you create it.  Or you can load it after booting the CD from USB or something like that.  It's up to you.  But you have to have the ability to control the storage and connect to the network in order to perform the BMR.  The boot cd has generic drivers built in, but those may not work for your hardware depending on what you are using.

Tim

• Yes, in fact you want to create it prior and test it to make sure the boot disk contains all the drivers you need.

Is it possible to extract the Recovery Console piece and place it on a known good boot disk? A lot of locations have boot-disks created so it seems like it would be easier to just add the Recovery Console to their disks vs create a vanilla boot disk and making them add all their drivers  they may need

• We don't support extracting the recovery console from the boot cd and adding it to a known good boot disk. I'm sure there are underlying dependencies that are in the  AppAssure boot cd that may not exist in another boot cd. You'd probably have to do a lot of hacking and wacking to make it work. It's just not something we support.  

Actually, the boot cd in Rapid Recovery has been greatly enhanced and I recommend checking it out.  Additional tools have been added for troubleshooting, better ability to load drivers after booting to the cd, ability to attach to an archive and restore from an archive, etc.  

Tim

• I started the Boot CD creation, but it is trying to create a windows 8 image.....that is not what i need.  How do I specify a certain OS, like Win2008r2?

• The boot cd is going to be a Windows 8 WinPE environment.  That's the environment we use for the boot cd.  As long as you can load the drivers for your hardware in it, then it will work.  If not, then you should be able to choose the 32 bit option in the boot cd creation wizard and that will give you the Windows 7 32-bit WinPE environment.

The version of WinPE doesn't matter. You can restore any system (with any OS) using the Windows 7 or 8 WinPE environment so long as the drivers load and we can access the hardware.

Tim

• If I remember correctly, the bootcd you select is not straight forward and is not well documented or explained. The only thing I think we came up with is that you need to use Win8 or 64bit if you have UEFI partitions but even that was not confirmed

en.community.dell.com/.../20741156