This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Best Practice for site A Fail Back after DR Excersize at Site B with Virtual Standbys

Hello,

...looking for the best way to do this. Here is the setup (MS Paint still rules!)

For the failback operation, we do not want, nor will we have the time to create a seed and ship it back down to Site A. Only ~35GB will have changed and it is a SQL database, files and folders changed, and IIS website data changing.

Is there a way to fail back to the Site A source and not have to restore all 500GB? Only 35GB has changed so this could be restored overnight if there is an efficient way. These sites are across the country from each other.

Site A source is currently physical but could be changed to Virtual if needed.

*SiteA and SiteB are DL4000 Appliances running 6.1

Parents
  • I may not get this at all but isn't that what live recovery does? It sure seems like it the few times I have tried it.

Grab a backup of the failover server and then shut it off. Turn on the primary (out of date) server and run a live recovery of the "D" drive.

This of course assumes that nothing is on the "C" (O/S drive) but the O/S. We have a few older servers that are not set up this way so a BMR would be the only option but I plan to fix this as they are replaced.
  • I may not get this at all but isn't that what live recovery does? It sure seems like it the few times I have tried it.

Grab a backup of the failover server and then shut it off. Turn on the primary (out of date) server and run a live recovery of the "D" drive.

This of course assumes that nothing is on the "C" (O/S drive) but the O/S. We have a few older servers that are not set up this way so a BMR would be the only option but I plan to fix this as they are replaced.
Children
No Data