This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to view VM's footprint on the repository

One of our VMs never had any rollup settings configured for it so its been taking daily recovery points since it was first added years ago. The total protected data listed in the web console is saying that its using 64.37TB but the repository that the VM is actually using only has 30TB.

Since the repository currently isn't full i'm assuming that there is some compression at work. Is there some method to view the actual footprint that this machine is having on the repository so that I can gauge its size?

Thanks

• AppAssure/Rapid Recovery uses compression and deduplication within a repository. As data comes into the repository it is checked against a dedupe cache and then deduplicated based on what blocks of data have already been stored in the repository. This deduplication happens across all agents stored in a repository. Because of this, there is no way to know how much space is consumed by a single agent. Here's an example of the problem we face when trying to provide that information:

If Agent 1 and Agent 2 both use a single block of data in the repository (since it was deduped so that only one copy of it exists), how would we assign that space usage to each agent? Both Agent 1 and Agent 2 reference it and need it. If you delete Agent 1 from the repository and remove all it's recovery points, that block of data will still exist in the repository as used space (otherwise Agent 2's backups would be invalid). If we reported it as used space for both Agent 1 and Agent 2 that would double the amount of space actually used in the repository and would be incorrect (we're only keeping one copy of that block of data).

So all we can do is report on the total amount of protected data (that's the raw data backed up for each agent prior to compression and dedupe) and report on the total used space in the repository. We can then calculate your space savings on the entire repository (we call it the compression ratio), but we can't provide you any calculations on space savings per agent.

My recommendation is to get a retention policy assigned to that agent and rollup enabled. Then during the next nightly job rollup will run and clean out much of that old data that is no longer necessary. If you track the used space in the repository prior to rollup and then after rollup you'll be able to see how much space was being used by those recovery points that were removed, but that's as close as you are going to come to being able to know how much actual disk space was used by a single agent in a repository.
  • Thank you for replying Tim that was a big help to me