This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recovery Points showing 1.15 TB Base and 1.09 TB Base, Incremental

Trying to cleanup a repository on a Rapid Restore 6.1 Core.  Reviewing the recovery points for one of the protected servers, I see a base image for c:\, e:\ on 11/11/2016 of 1.15 TB.  And then on Jan 4, 2017, I see a "Base, Incremental" for c:\, e:\ of 1.09 TB.

I want to do some housekeeping and reclaim any space but not sure how to interpret this.  i.e. which volume has the base and which has the incremental and what happens if I delete all recovery points before Jan 4?  Will I destroy a valid base and break the chain?

This server had it's e: volume fill up around Jan. 4 which I'm guessing triggered another base image.

Any help is appreciated.

• If you use the delete range function for an agent, you can specify the range of recovery points that the core will remove. This process is similar to a rollup job in that it will remove the recovery points from within that process but keep your recovery point chain intact. In your case since you have 2 base images of the c:\ and e:\ if you chose to delete range and specified all recovery points prior to the second base image, the core would remove all recovery points up to that January 4th date. This would essentially remove the first base and incrementals of c:\ and e:\ leaving you with just one base. It would also move the base image for any other volumes forward to the recovery point on January 4th more than likely leaving you with a single base recovery point followed by incrementals. Deleting recovery points with delete range will never break a recovery point chain. It will simply rollup the recovery points within that range so that they no longer exist and keep all data necessary to maintain the integrity of your recovery point chains before or after that range.
  • Thanks, Just to clarify, I'm not sure I have 2 base images of c:\ and e:\. I suspect I have two base images of e:\ only on 11/11 and 1/4 and One base of c:\ on 11/11. The 1/4 date shows a status of "base, incremental" for C:\ and e:\. Not just status of "Base" as the original on 11/11 does. Don't know if this changes anything you mentioned, I just wanted to be clear.

Thanks again for your help.
  • It won't matter whether c:\ has a base or an incremental. If the goal is remove all RPs before the 1/4 date and get rid of the double base images of e:\, then deleting range and choosing that time period will achieve your goal while maintaining the integrity of all backups from 1/4 onward.
  • Got it. Thanks again for the help.