This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Agent 6.1

After upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1 (core first, then agents a few days later); some of our servers are now redoing a backup base image, instead of an incremental. Over a slow wan link, this is painful to watch. Anyone had issues upgrading the agent to 6.1?

• Upgrading the agents should not trigger a new base image. Here are the known reasons for why a base image will be triggered - support.quest.com/.../118467.

To discover specifically why your agents triggered a new base image you can follow this KB - support.quest.com/.../119700. It is written for AppAssure 5.4.3 and older so you'll need to use different paths for the log files. Other than that, all of the information should be the same.

Log path for Rapid Recovery Core = C:\ProgramData\AppRecovery\Logs\AppRecovery.log
    Log path for Rapid Recovery Agent = C:\ProgramData\AppRecovery\Logs\AppRecoveryPM.log

Based on my experience with upgrades and troubleshooting the reasons for base images, I would guess that the most likely reason is that Windows did not stop gracefully during the reboot for the Agent upgrade. I've seen that a number of times and because of that, it will cause a new base. But only a check through the Windows System logs and the Rapid Recovery logs will show you exactly what occurred.
  • It happened on three servers now. Only the OS partitions had a new base image done. Data partitions were incremental. Really throws a wrench in the archival directory for each server.
  • I had exactly the same issue after upgrading to 6.1 Agents. Base Images of the OS volume were taken and Incremental of data volumes leaving the recovery chain a little convoluted. When a roll up of your recovery points hits this Base/Incremental or you delete a range of recovery points I believe it will roll up the Base image so all will once again be realigned with a full base of all volumes and Incrementals from there on in... affected 7 of the 12 servers I have protected so about 60% experienced the same behaviour. As far as I am aware all had a clean shut down and reboot as I did a manual upgrade on each server with a manual restart (agents were not deployed through the console)

• I'm wondering if this is a bigger issue and there will be a patch out soon? (or the agent upgrade pulled)
  • I'm like most IT folk, and cautious about upgrades. All done according to best practices, and still had issues.
  • From my own personal experience and perspective I dont see it as being too much of an issue to be honest. Better to be safe than sorry. There must be something triggering the Base that the software isnt happy with so I believe its a good thing that its recognised this and triggered a base snapshot.... just in case the inevitable strikes!
  • As of today, there is no known defect in the agent upgrade process triggering base images of OS volume. Until an issue is confirmed, there is no way for us to prevent or fix it. If you can, I recommend creating a support case so we can review the logs from your agent server and core and verify the reason for the base. The other option is to run the IGT tool with a random number and post the logs here. I'm happy to look through them. I just need one agent that based and the core. Hopefully the logs will be fresh enough that we can see what happened.