This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Long term recovery options or what happens if the core doesn't contact the license server? (or have any licenses)

I need to confirm what happens if a customer stops paying for the system (we are an MSP) but wants to retain access to their old backups.  

For non-trial licenses, the Rapid Recovery Core contacts the license portal once every hour. If the Core cannot reach the license portal after a 10-day grace period, the Core stops taking snapshots.

I have seen the above.  Does this mean that I can still perform mounts, restores and generally still view old archives to restore old data?

• What if they wanted to remove that machine (core) but archived the Repository (and structure / registry) and RR install media to tape would they be able to get it back if requested?
    • i.e. build a machine, install the RR version that they saved
    • Restore / Rebuild the repository
    • Mount the backups and look at that
  • Would this be the same if they simply archived it to S3 storage?  Can they just retain that information?
  • Going further, if they were to retain a copy of the repository (or logon details to amazon S3 storage) would they be able to install the current version of RR and mount that repository or mount / restore from archive?  This is required for compliance purposes.

At present we have been exporting RPs to VHD files and backing those up to tape.  This way i'm pretty certain we will be able to mount VHDs in 10 years and restore data as required, however it'd be nice to save that disk space (D2D2D2T is quite excessive)

If that doesn't make sense, please ask :)

Parents
  • Hi fredbloggs:

The way the software is now, it will allow you to log in the GUI if any type of license (trial or real) is installed. After the license expires (or the license portal becomes unavailable), you are still able to log in the GUI. Nobody knows if all will be the same X years from now -- technology moves way too fast to be able to foresee it. This is why, a frozen "point in time" is a good precaution. Please note that there is (almost) nothing to configure to the "safe" core. You would use it just to attach the archive.

One more thing -- if you have the agents number based license -- you can spin up as many cores as you wish. If a core does not connect to the portal for 30 days or so (1), it will be automatically expunged. (You should be able to remove it from the portal manually as well (2)).

Hope that this helps.

• Hi fredbloggs:

The way the software is now, it will allow you to log in the GUI if any type of license (trial or real) is installed. After the license expires (or the license portal becomes unavailable), you are still able to log in the GUI. Nobody knows if all will be the same X years from now -- technology moves way too fast to be able to foresee it. This is why, a frozen "point in time" is a good precaution. Please note that there is (almost) nothing to configure to the "safe" core. You would use it just to attach the archive.

One more thing -- if you have the agents number based license -- you can spin up as many cores as you wish. If a core does not connect to the portal for 30 days or so (1), it will be automatically expunged. (You should be able to remove it from the portal manually as well (2)).

Hope that this helps.

Children
No Data