This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does 6.1 work on a 2016 Nano server

Does 6.1 work on a 2016 Nano server?

Parents
  • I Stephen:
    6.1.1 will install (and work) on Windows 2016 Core with secureboot disabled.

If Nano server runs as a VM, it should be possible to back it up agentlessly (either Hyper-V or VMware).

If installing a Rapid Recovery agent is in play, one needs to take into consideration that Nano Server can only be installed from a deployment image. To my understanding, Windows 2016 nano images have significantly less features (including no user interface) and most third party application need to be injected to the image prior to deployment.

. However, the most important difference in our case is that nano server does not support .msi installations (it uses APPX extensions). As such there is no way to install a RapidRecovery agent directly (the agent installer packs a msi installer). I attempted to do a file/registry key level installation via DSC some time ago but I failed, most likely due to my insufficient DSC skills. Even if I were successful, there was no guarantee that the agent would have been operational.

Hope that this helps.

• I Stephen:
    6.1.1 will install (and work) on Windows 2016 Core with secureboot disabled.

If Nano server runs as a VM, it should be possible to back it up agentlessly (either Hyper-V or VMware).

If installing a Rapid Recovery agent is in play, one needs to take into consideration that Nano Server can only be installed from a deployment image. To my understanding, Windows 2016 nano images have significantly less features (including no user interface) and most third party application need to be injected to the image prior to deployment.

. However, the most important difference in our case is that nano server does not support .msi installations (it uses APPX extensions). As such there is no way to install a RapidRecovery agent directly (the agent installer packs a msi installer). I attempted to do a file/registry key level installation via DSC some time ago but I failed, most likely due to my insufficient DSC skills. Even if I were successful, there was no guarantee that the agent would have been operational.

Hope that this helps.

Children
No Data