This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

With Rapid Recovery 6.1.1.137 Can I back up folders, instead of entire drives?

I know with Appassure only entire drives could be backed up. Has that changed? I have drives that I do not need to back up in their entirety. I am now running Rapid Recovery 6.1.1.137. I cannot find an answer for this in the knowledge base.

Parents
  • Hi chris.rodgers:

Creating junction points is not that hard and they may solve your issue. It is a simple process and I tried to document it step by step below. Basically, you attach a new drive or create a new partition on a volume by resizing current partitions and create a new one in the available space. You will use that partition to "insulate" the databases that you want to backup separately.

Here you go:

0. I have attached a new drive to a test machine.

1. I create an empty folder in the desired location and launch disk management (obviously you can do it from the Windows GUI)

2. Disk Management comes up

3. Initialize Disk (It is a good practice to be the same type [MBR or GPT] as the volume where you mount it)

4. Create a new Simple Volume

5. You can mount the new volume in the folder you already created now (but we will NOT do it)

As stated above, we will choose "Do not assign a drive letter or drive path"

6. Create the partition and format the volume

7. Right-click on the new volume and choose "Change Drive Letters and Paths"

8. Navigate to the folder where you want your volume mounted

9. You can now access the new volume via the folder it is mounted. At the same time it can be backed up separately.

10. The Core sees now the new volume as shown below (c:\mountme\):

11. All you have to do next is to detach the database(s) that you want backed up separately, copy both the mdf and ldf files to the new location and re-attach the database(s) in SQL Management Studio.

There are a few distinct advantages to separate important databases on their own volumes (I have a customer that is doing this with Exchange Databases -- on servers with 38+ volumes; the chances of losing data if something goes wrong are reduced considerably).

Hope that this helps.

• Hi chris.rodgers:

Creating junction points is not that hard and they may solve your issue. It is a simple process and I tried to document it step by step below. Basically, you attach a new drive or create a new partition on a volume by resizing current partitions and create a new one in the available space. You will use that partition to "insulate" the databases that you want to backup separately.

Here you go:

0. I have attached a new drive to a test machine.

1. I create an empty folder in the desired location and launch disk management (obviously you can do it from the Windows GUI)

2. Disk Management comes up

3. Initialize Disk (It is a good practice to be the same type [MBR or GPT] as the volume where you mount it)

4. Create a new Simple Volume

5. You can mount the new volume in the folder you already created now (but we will NOT do it)

As stated above, we will choose "Do not assign a drive letter or drive path"

6. Create the partition and format the volume

7. Right-click on the new volume and choose "Change Drive Letters and Paths"

8. Navigate to the folder where you want your volume mounted

9. You can now access the new volume via the folder it is mounted. At the same time it can be backed up separately.

10. The Core sees now the new volume as shown below (c:\mountme\):

11. All you have to do next is to detach the database(s) that you want backed up separately, copy both the mdf and ldf files to the new location and re-attach the database(s) in SQL Management Studio.

There are a few distinct advantages to separate important databases on their own volumes (I have a customer that is doing this with Exchange Databases -- on servers with 38+ volumes; the chances of losing data if something goes wrong are reduced considerably).

Hope that this helps.

Children
No Data