This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using External SAS Bays for Archiving?

Our organization recently acquired a business that is using AppAssure 5.4.3.  The company has never created any archives for offsite storage.  They are currently backing up a 3.5 TB of data, and we want to setup an archive schedule to an external device.  We'll then take the external device offsite daily or weekly.   For now, we are not considering a Cloud backup. 

Meanwhile, AppAssure is installed on a Dell server running Windows 2012. The Server has a Perc H810 SAS controller with two external SAS ports.  Can I purchase a SAS JBOD Enclosure for archiving and swap hot swap hard drives daily or weekly to take offsite?  I am concerned that Hot Swapping hard drives may require a reconfig of the archive repository after every swap.  Of course, we'll be using identical drives when swapping.    

• Look into replication instead, you can replicate to a remote server (or servers) even if its in your house

I personally would not conciser archives a first line defense (esp in 5.4)

- Archives can take a LONG time to create and will block other jobs from running

- Archives are a pain to manage and can end up taking more space than your production repository currently consumes. There is no retention you can apply to archive's

- Archives require you to import that data back in before you can restore, and this can take a long time

- If the Core is lost, you have to build a new one first, then configure everything, then import

Replication has none of those drawbacks

ps. I don't think it will be possible to hotswap drives on an active repository