This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Differential Restore of a drive to another server

I have an old server I am needing to retire. One of the drives I need to restore to a new server. This drive is rather large at just under 8 TB. I performed a redirected restore to the new server, (not live recovery). That took a little over a week to complete. Is there a way to do a live recovery of that drive to the new server that is a differential so that only the changes are restored? Just looking for the best and fastest way to complete this.

• Within the product there is not a 'file comparison' restore function that will look at what is there and make a decision on what to keep and what not to keep. The restores, as you did, will replace the volume you specify with the volume that is in the recovery, the entire volume. You can replace entire volumes, individual files and/or folders, or build VMs (or virtual disks) with the restores.

The only way I can think that you 'could' do this is to mount the recovery point and then use a file comparison utility against the mount point and the production volume to see what files have been updated more recently.

I get what you are saying, however such a feature to compare files during the restore process is not within the RRs toolkit at this point in time.
  • So really my best option would be the live recovery of the drive. Thanks for your imput.
  • It would be yes. Though yes that does take time, that is indeed the route I'd recommend in your situation.
  • If there was/ is a DR and it takes 7 days, a lot of heat is probably going to come down from management. It sounds like you are already going thru this so these suggestions wont help you now, but when management wants to know how to fix this

- 8TB is a lot of data, maybe this data can be split between multiple machines

- If this is mission critical, and with 8tb of data I assume it is. Setup this client to export. Yes you are going to have to have +8Tb of storage on the target but I bet management approves the storage request after taking over a week to restore.
  • This isn't a DR scenario. Yes, they know a full restore will take a while. I'm just trying to come up with the easiest way to move this data with the least impact.