This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Direct connect core to server(s)

Have any of you tired this? I though of setting up a practice DR destination server in the rack and connect it directly to the core with a dedicated switch or crossover cable to keep it off the LAN. It then it occurred to me I could actually connect all of my servers back to the core each on it's own NIC to keep backup overhead off the LAN.

Thoughts?

• This is fairly common in larger environments. They have a dedicated nic for backup traffic. Most backup products have a setting that allows you to enter in a preferred nic to send traffic over but rapid recovery does not. In order to force this, you would have to use the IP address (vs hostname) of the nic you want when you add it to protection. And then if that nic fails, backups fail
  • If I changed how the existing servers connected would it interrupt the backup chain?
  • No, you can remove the client but KEEP recovery points, then add the client back in using IP and the core should bring it back. There can be issues with this process and they have some TN that describe how to fix it
  • It's easier than that. Just go into the settings on the agent and change the hostname to the new IP. The core will use the new IP to connect to the agent. As long as the network is there to use and the core can connect to the agent on that IP, it will act like nothing changed. If the networking is set up wrong, the agent will go offline until the networking is fixed and functional.

DO NOT REMOVE THE MACHINES FROM PROTECTION. That forces a new base image because it tells the protected machine to stop logging changes.
  • This would radically change a lot of things for the better. I schedule new snapshots and recoveries around user load because of heave network overhead when doing these things.

I'll try it and report back for posterity sake if nothing else.
  • I opened a case with support about a week ago on this exact issue. They told me to remove the machine and re-add it. Case 4204457 in case you want to verify
  • I'll look up the case. Thanks. Reprotecting is not necessary. Changing the hostname in the agent settings saves time and won't cause any negative side effects.

Yes you do have to specify the IP on your backup network in the settings to force the core traffic over a specific NIC.

Removing a machine from protection with the GUI and reprotecting is intended to cause a base image. This is because the core tells the agent to delete it's changelogs and stop logging. If RR didn't stop logging and you were to leave the agent software installed, it would continue logging indefinitely and fill up small volumes like the system reserved partition. This then cascades into other problems on your systems.
  • Where are these settings? My agents seem to have no interface?

EDIT: You can disregard this, I found the setting on the core for the agents.

• I spent all day trying to get a recovery to work to no avail. I can move backups on the secondary network but not do restores for some reason. It seems to be a software limitation although there may be a work around. I would love to hear some thoughts on why this may be.
  • Hi corrigun:
    I suppose that you tried a volume restore as a BMR should not create any problems. If this is the case I would switch the binding order of the network adapters on the agent to restore.
    Just to be on the safe side, I would add a temporary entry in the hosts file making sure that the agent name is resolved on the desired IP. Please let us know if it works for you.