This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using Azure file storage

Is it possible to use Azure file storage either as SMB storage for a offsite backup? Azure has the silly limit of 1023GB per drive and not many exactly many per CPU core; is it possible to use Azure File storage i.e. SMB3.0 storage either directly from a VM as a CIFS location (that should allow 5TB per instance and upto 500TB per storage accounts) or as a VHDX file sat on top of the SMB3.0 share as DAS - on paper this should allow 60MB/sec of disk throughput and we are looking at this on the end of a 40Mbit WAN link as a replication target so it can't really be too stretched. The concept of cloud archiving is not brilliant at the best of times in Rapid Recovery in that it is based on PIT images as I can't see how that really works in the cloud world; it sort of worked in the I have a monthly snapshot on a physical drive world but pushing up full multi TB of data to the cloud regularly doesn't stack up so I am trying to work out if there is sensible way of building a replication target for about 10TB of data without a expensive overkill VM simply to support the need number of disks.

• Hi Chris:
    You can use the Azure Rapid Recovery Appliance (free from us, Azure charges apply) to get a core with up to 8TB of repository space. The Appliance sets up the repository but you need to add manually the virtual disks before provisioning it. Please look for it.
    Please note that Azure virtual disks are not exactly 1 TB -- more like 1023GB.
    It is my understanding that if you send a seed drive to a MS Azure data center they will import it at no cost to you.
    I did not work with Azure the last few months and I do not know if their policies has changed. It is worth asking, though.