Reporting on number of Emails send to & from a particular group of users

Posting on behalf of another who will monitor for answers...

Scenario:

We have a group of users (users who work in our retail food stores) that are in a group called "Food Stores". These stores can only send & receive email from the internet, or members of the ad groups "Food Stores" & "Food Comms"
These users are in their own DAG called "Food DAG" and therefore are in their own mailbox databases on their own servers. These users have the same smtp domain as part of their email address as other users in the exchange organisation.

Number of emails received by stores
Number of emails sent by stores

Ideally we would want these broken down by day (so we can see any peaks across the week).

Additionally we need a breakdown between the three groups of users that can possibly send email to and from the stores (i.e. members of "Food Stores" and "Food Comms" groups, and emails from the internet.)

• Hello,

I was hoping you could provide additional information about your request. I do have follow up questions before I can advise on what Insights (Reports) would best suite your business goal:

1. Are you looking to Report off how many messages are "Sent to" or "Received by" a specific Distribution lists?

E.g. Food Stores" & "Food Comms (Mail enabled Distribution lists)

Or, are you looking for "How many messages Sent/Received by users who are in specific AD groups"  for grouping purposes? If you could clarify, you are not interested in how many messages are received by the DL FoodStores@company.com?

2. Do the Active Directory users share a common attribute that we could Filter by? AD attributes: Direct Reports, Manager, Department or Mailbox Database name for example would also help.

We do have a few different Insights:

1. Email - Activity

Filter by: A common Active Directory Attribute.

This would be more so the users within the groups, and not a sent/rcv message count for the DL itself.

2. Distribution Groups Insights

Groups Usage

Distribution Groups / Group Access

These Insights would be focused more so on how many messages are sent to the Distribution lists.

If you could let me know further details about your request so that I can understand the business requirement better that would be great.

Thank you,

Dave

• Hi Dave

Cheers for your response, please see below for clarification on some of the questions raised;

1. Are you looking to Report off how many messages are "Sent to" or "Received by" a specific Distribution lists?

E.g. Food Stores" & "Food Comms (Mail enabled Distribution lists)

Or, are you looking for "How many messages Sent/Received by users who are in specific AD groups" for grouping purposes? If you could clarify, you are not interested in how many messages are received by the DL FoodStores@company.com?

It is the latter, sent & received by users in a specific group (rather than sent to the group it’s self)

Additionally we need a breakdown between the three groups of users that can possibly send email to and from the stores (i.e. members of "Food Stores" and "Food Comms" groups, and emails from the internet.)

2. Do the Active Directory users share a common attribute that we could Filter by? AD attributes: Direct Reports, Manager, Department or Mailbox Database name for example would also help.

The users are in their own servers, mailbox databases (there are a number of these that are specific to the food stores). The user objects that the mailboxes are linked to are also in their own OU (some of the mailboxes are shared).

Thanks

Dave

• Hi Dave,

I have looked into this and it appears there may be two ways: 

1) Email - Activity is one possibility. Yes this would be activity by members of those groups rather than activity to the DL. You can filter by common AD attribute (if one exists), by Mailbox Database Name (if there's specific naming convention). You can't filter by Mailbox DAG name (currently).  The main limitation is you can see activity sent by Food Stores, or received by Food Stores, but not both at the same time (see next)

2) Email - Bi-Directional Activity would be similar to Email Activity, except it show activity between 2 groups. For example you could see the activity both sent and received by Food Stores / Food Comms. You could also see how much activity between Food Store / Food Comms, compared to external activity. Same filtering options Email - Activity 1).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Dave