This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

vRanger backups of VMs located on VSAN

Hello,
Is anyone else using vRanger to backup VMs that are on VSAN datastores?  I'm on vSphere 6.0U3 and VSAN 6.2 (on disk format 3).  I've been using vRanger 7.3.1 in production.

I have the following issue:

- VM has a VM level manual snapshot taken, it is still there when backups start
- vRanger does a backup  (takes its own snapshot, backup complete, removes vranger snapshot -- all using vRanger VA's)
- VM now has an alert that says a VM snapshot consolation required.

Manual VM snapshot consolidations fail due to locked files within VSAN.
Manual VM snapshot delete works fine,  however snapshot consolidation continues to fail with locked files errors.

This fix works every time:  vmotion VM to ANY other host in cluster.  VM snapshot consolidation works.
(this presumably releases whatever lock was on the files)

I have been working with VMware support for literally MONTHS with this issue...  so I thought I would ask this forum if anyone else is using the products in the same combination.  None of this happens if the VM is not on a VSAN datastore (i.e. local, NFS, or iscsi)

I've tried doing vRanger backups both with and without the Active Block Mapping enabled.  Changed Block Tracking is not enabled for any VMs (at least the vranger GUI does not show CBT enabled for any of them..)

Thanks.

Parents
  • Updated info: When the VA's attempt to hot add the vmdk file for a VM that has a pre existing snapshot, the VA's crash and coredump/reboot. I had not noticed this before. vRanger attempts to use hot add method 3 times (VA crashes 3 times) and then falls back to network based backup. I have opened a case with Dell support about the crashing VA's.
  • Updated info: When the VA's attempt to hot add the vmdk file for a VM that has a pre existing snapshot, the VA's crash and coredump/reboot. I had not noticed this before. vRanger attempts to use hot add method 3 times (VA crashes 3 times) and then falls back to network based backup. I have opened a case with Dell support about the crashing VA's.
Children