This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Error: API Call failed with message: RuntimeFault.summary (vRanger 7.6, vSphere 6.5)

Hi,

I'm on vRanger 7.6.0.0 with 7.6 VA:s and after upgrading to vSphere 6.5 (from 6.0) all new replication jobs fail with error:

Error: API Call failed with message: RuntimeFault.summary

In vSphere:

RuntimeFault.summary

Cannot apply encryption policy. You must set the default KMS cluster.

The error appears when the replica VM is about to be created.

I do not use KMS, no VM encryption and no virtual datastores. Older replication jobs, where replica already exists do work. Backups work too.

I also have no problems creating, cloning and deleting VM:s in vSphere with my vRanger user account.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

• do you have any update ? we have same problem with upgrade vRanger to the latest version 7.6.0.114 .. backups working without problems, but we could not create restore .. every time we get following error

RuntimeFault.summary

Cannot apply encryption policy. You must set the default KMS cluster.

when we try to use Veeam, we don´´´´´ t havy any problems ..

it seems to be a problem on vRanger ..
  • We have same problem with upgrade vRanger to the latest version.
  • Sorry, no update yet.

Are you on vSphere 6.5 too? I didn't have the problem in 6.0.
  • yeah, we have problem with vCenter 6.5 and vSphere host on 6.5 .. I tried to install latest build of vCenter and host, but problem it´ s still same .. when we try to restore VM at "Select Disk Storage" we have only option "VM Encryption Policy" - but we don´ t use that policy ..
  • I have tried to restore VM directly to VM host, it´ s working without any problems .. but when I connect host to vCenter server every time I have under "Select Disk Storage" only VM Encryption Policy and there all storages ... it´´ s seems to be a problem with vCenter server ?

I have tried to install separe instance of vCenter server ( defualt install ), but problem persist ..

Direct host :

Connect via vCenter server :

• Hi All,

I know you've been anxious to hear more about when Quest will have a replacement for the vRanger 7.6 release. We appreciate your patience as we worked out the details of how to deliver a high quality release to you.

We have a definite release plan at this time. If you would like more information about when we can deliver this release to you, please contact Support for further assistance.

Thanks!
  • I understand that you are having issues performing new replications as it keeps failing with RuntimeFault.summary.

Cause :
    With vSphere 6.5 a new storage policy called VM Encryption Policy was introduced, please go through the link blogs.vmware.com/.../whats-new-in-vsphere-6-5-security.html for more information related to Encryption Policy.

While restoring or replicating a Virtual Machine from vRanger by default all the destination data stores are listed under VM Encryption Policy and If there is no KMS (Key Management Server) server configured then the restore or replication of new VM would fail.

Here is a KB article with a workaround which should address the encryption issue, i request you to please perform the same resolution steps as per below KB article which should help in overcoming the encryption issue for both the backup and replication.

support.quest.com/.../231617