today we tried to Update vRanger from 7.5.1 to 7.6.3. The update process was done without any failure.After finishing we tried to start the client shell. We got only the message that the connection to the service is not possible.
But all services are started. Does anybody hast same problems?
After this we reverted the whole machine back to 7.5.1.
Daniel from Germany
In reply to aaron.ellis:
In reply to Andrew G:
In reply to daniel.knaup:
In reply to mogli-hh:
To further understand what is causing the "Could not connect to service error" run the vRanger Service in DEBUG mode as outlined in the following KB:
The error message produced there or lack of one will help to point out where the root of the issue exists. The above KB mentions one of the errors we see often. Other errors should yield results when searched against the Knowledge Base. If there is no error and vRanger GUI is able to start while running DEBUG mode, a common reason can be found here:
I will reach out directly to see if a Service Request may be needed to assist.
In reply to Christopher Hrobsky:
In reply to support_74509: