Earlier this month, the Quest Cork office hosted it's third Lessons in Leadership session, a program aimed at helping team members grow and advance their careers by listening to company leaders talk about their own careers, and their experiences on the path to becoming a successful leader.
The Cork team was delighted to welcome Jeff Hawn, Quest's Chairman and CEO, and Kathleen Owens, President and GM, Information Management, who co-presented an insightful and informative session.
Among the session highlights, Jeff spoke about three key characteristics critical to successful leadership. They include:
- Being able to solve problems, and taking the complex and helping to simplify it
- Keeping your composure and having a level head in the face of adversity
- Resilience, mental toughness and drive, and the ability to keep going event when presented with challenges
Kathleen shared similar guidance, outlining three key lessons from her professional journey to date, including:
- Mindset shapes everything. Focus on growing, contributing and enjoying the process. Continue to learn and develop in areas of technology and business, and use different tactics and tools available to you along the way to help.
- Courage is critical. Fear is universal and natural, but always keep perspective. Courage can be developed with practice. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. Don't be afraid of failing; be afraid of not trying.
- Value communication. Success starts with listening and genuinely wanting to understand. Connect with those around you and make it meaningful.
Both Jeff and Kathleen reminded the team that it's OK if you don't always know your path or what you want to do. As long as you keep working hard and keep pushing forward, the path will eventually become clear. They also shared that it's OK to take steps backwards or sideways in your career. Business is hard, and the path may not always be easy or linear. What's critical is to make sure you have good support along the way, whether from a peer, family member, friend, mentor or leader, and to think about how you can return the favor by supporting others.
Thanks again to all who attended, and to Jeff and Kathleen for a great session!