Epson Expression 10000XL

I am using your software to share an Expression 10000XL scanner between me and my wifes computer. We use it mainly for scanning in photos which are somtimes in the region of 450MB, this does not cause a problem on the server machine using epsons software, but when I scan using the client it starts as normal in that I get the message "Please Wait ..Scanning" but after about 2-3 minutes it errors with a message saying that the scanner has failed, the scanner then carries on to scan but does not send the image back to the client. Afterwards I need to reboot the server in order to scan again. Is there some kind of time-out that needs to be set?

I also have another problem, because the images are so large I usually scan them in draft mode(using the epson software) but this dosn't seem to be possible using your client software, I have tried firstly scanning with the epson software in draft mode in the hope that it will save it as a default setting, and then with your client, but no luckso far. Is it possible to set the default settings maybe?

Thank you in advance

Mike
  • Do other resolutions work like 200 DPI etc?
    Is it just the high DPI that takes so long?
    How long does it take to perform the scan on the EPSON with the high DPI? 2 min, 5 min?

Can we do a net meeting session so you can show me this?
    It is very easy.
    Send email when you are around. support@remote-scan.com
  • The above mail was from me I just forgot to log on [:O]

Mike
  • What do you mean draft mode?
    Do you just mean 100 DPI or 25 DPI?

I can change the timeout that I use for the scanner wait time. I think it is set at 2.5 mins now.

Can we do a net meeting session and you can show me the draft mode?
  • What do you mean draft mode?
    Do you just mean 100 DPI or 25 DPI?

>> No "Draft mode" and "Best mode" are two settings used by the epson software, they affect the speed and quality of the scan, not the amount of DPI below is a link to the 10000XL manual
    http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/ex10kp/ex10kpu1.pdf

I can change the timeout that I use for the scanner wait time. I think it is set at 2.5 mins now.

That would be great, would it be possible to make this time variable so that I could test it, maybe reading the value from an ini file.

Can we do a net meeting session and you can show me the draft mode

I have never done a net meeting before but am willing to give it a try, do I have to register with MSN? I will try to get some information about it.

PS As we are in germany I set the software language to german, but allong the way I have noticed one or two mistakes, If you send me the language file I will happily correct it and send it back.

Mike
  • The net meeting is already installed on your computer.
    c:\program files\netmeeting\conf.exe

Just send me the WRONG german pharse and what dialog it was on and the corrected one and i'll make the substitution.

I'll add the timeout variable and look at the manual

thanks
  • Below are the two phrases, if I find any more I will send them to you:

Sparen Sie -> Speichern

Schlie+Æ’t -> Schlie+Æ’en

PS
    Would it be possible to send me a revised executable(with the time limit as a variable) today so that I can test it tonight at home.

Thank you

Mike
  • Add a variable to the [remote] section in
    c:\documents and settings\<username>\applicationdata\RemoteScanClient\remote.ini
    called:

scanwaittime=5

would set the timeout to 5 mins for a scan

Please download version 8.971 It is posting now.. Give it about 20 mins to compeletely post.
  • >>Please download version 8.971 It is posting now.. Give it about 20 mins to compeletely post.

Thank you it works fine now I can scan a 450MB image within 6 minutes + transfer time. The only snitch now is Draft mode. I have done some experiments with TWAIN and have come up with the following list of custom modes that are available for the XL10000. Draft mode can be set using the Custom Capabilities in TWAIN, below is a list to which I have found the functions.

CAP CAPID Function Type
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Custom+0x4 32772 Draft BOOL
    Custom+0x1A 32794 Autofocus BOOL
    Custom+0x22 32802 mirror vertical BOOL

example
    Custom = 0x8000

thus CAPID for Draftmode = Custom + 0x4 = 0x8004 (32772)

Thank you

Mike
  • WOW!
    Where did you find that information?

I will hook that up this afternoon.

thanks!
  • >>WOW!
    Where did you find that information?

basically through trial and error using the twain toolkit

>>I will hook that up this afternoon.

That sounds great can't wait!!

Thanks