This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Process Permissions on FIle Servers

Hi All

I have not been involved in a migration for the past 3 years.  Now we are migrating between forests for users/groups, workstations and email. Which is all good.

We have a question around the File Server Migration process and whether it can be streamlined?  I am looking to find out

1. Can we run an initial Vmover command and start to process permissions. Even if all users and groups are not migrated? And then run a delta to permission new folders and also add missing users and groups?

2. On data this is dedupe'd - Does this have any effect when running VMover?

Thanks 

• Thanks Jeff - Totally understand. Yes I refer as migrated, as i nthe users are provisioned and synched.  We are at the stage where desktops are being migrated to the new domain and the accounts cutover to use services within the new domain.

• Thanks 

I am glad it is purely file items. From experience, do you have any idea to say if there are x number of files then it will take around x hours to complete the process?

Thanks

• X per hour depends on the host being processed. It is also files and folder for this count of X. I have seen it in the 1M and 100K ranges. Again it is all about the hosts. 

• Again to elaborate on Jeff's point - it's the classic "it depends, so benchmark in your environment" situation.

Influencing factors:

• Processor speed
    • Disk responsiveness
    • General VM tuning (if file server host is a VM)
    • Loading of physical VM host server (again, if your servers are virtual)

PS I did some checking on stats from my last project and we saw processing speeds in the range of 300 to 500K files / hour.  Your mileage may vary.