This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Automatically re-use expired tapes?

I have inherited a NetVault system and as a first time user it is causing me serious difficulties, the latest one is having to manually wipe some tapes that should be expired.

Job setup requirements:

VCenter backup, full on fridays, differential mon-thurs. New set of tapes used every week (no sharing of media between weeks). Sets to be kept for 3 weeks before expiring and the tapes being reusable.

In order to make sure each weeks backup is on separate media, I have had to set the "Protect Media from Further Writes after Backup" option on the thursdays job, as I cannot find any way to set it as read-only automatically. The problem is that this prevents the last piece of media from each weeks backup being marked as reusable when the sets expire.

I had tried using the "Ensure backup is the first on the target media" option instead, but as I am backing up multiple virtual machines, it puts each VM on a new tape, even with streams set to 1.

Any suggestions or am I going to have to keep struggling till I can get a budget for Backup Exec?