This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SQL backup failures to network share

Hello,

We recently stood up a new backup enviornment using HP StoreOnce (Deduplication applicance) as the backup target. The issue we're currently running into is when we perform a SQL backup using LiteSpeed (not compressed) to the CIFS share (\\hpeso\SQLBackups) on HP StoreOnce we get the following error:

- test backing up a 14GB database

Msg 61700, Level 16, State 1, Line 46

Backup of database "TestDatabase" failed.

Error saving data to file. Thread: 0

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "VDI_730BE351-F308-4C41-8F

C7-B6434FD61EF6_0:" 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

Write on "VDI_730BE351-F308-4C41-8FC7-B6434FD61EF6_0" failed: 4(The system cannot open the file.)

And when it's compressed by LiteSpeed we get a different error writing to the same backup target:

BackupIoRequest::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'VDI_9F406D37-986D-4A49-AA3C-844801FE9B6C_7'. Operating system error 4(The system cannot open the file.).

Is there anything I could do on the LiteSpeed configuration side in hopes to resolve this issue?

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated!

Parents
  • After countless testing, the issue was related to encryption at rest being enabled on the storage target. Not sure, why LiteSpeed would bomb the backup job because of this (maybe, because I had @verify = 1?? and it can't verify the restore process of the encrypted data). But, once we disabled the encryption at the storage, the backup succeeded. I have a case open with support to find out why is this the case as we would like to have encryption at the storage level. Funny thing is the sql native backup jobs are successful on the encrypted share, but litespeed backup jobs are not.

• After countless testing, the issue was related to encryption at rest being enabled on the storage target. Not sure, why LiteSpeed would bomb the backup job because of this (maybe, because I had @verify = 1?? and it can't verify the restore process of the encrypted data). But, once we disabled the encryption at the storage, the backup succeeded. I have a case open with support to find out why is this the case as we would like to have encryption at the storage level. Funny thing is the sql native backup jobs are successful on the encrypted share, but litespeed backup jobs are not.

Children
No Data