Welcome to the Migration Manager for Active Directory Community!

Read Blog  Watch Videos  Get Support  Learn More
Migration Manager for Active Directory Forum Posts
Migration Manager for Active Directory Blog Posts
    • 27 Feb 2017

Migrating to Archive Mailboxes with Quest On Demand Migration for Email

Both Exchange and Office 365 have the option to provide users with two separate mailboxes. First, there is the normal “User Mailbox”, which is typically used on an everyday basis and is housed on high performance storage media. Second, is the “User Archive” mailbox, which is typically used only when older data needs to be referenced and can be stored on less expensive storage media. Quest On Demand...
    • 17 Feb 2017

How to limit the amount of Cache memory used by Exchange Servers using PowerShell with applications to Rapid Recovery

A few days ago, I was working with a MSP customer that had the same issue on multiple Exchange servers hosted by his own customers. Specifically, in that particular setup, due to the memory-hog behavior of Exchange, other applications including our own Rapid Recovery agent were not performing properly. I suggested that we may attempt reducing the Exchange memory consumption and he offered me his own company environment...
    • 13 Feb 2017

Securing your Active Directory Environment from the Inside Out. (Part 3)

Okay, we have identified our privileged users and determined what rights are needed for them to do their jobs. Now we need a way to enforce these new roles. Step 3: Simplify the security of your Active Directory Active Roles is an AD proxy. It will sit between the user and Active Directory and determine if the user should be performing the task or not. Since the Active Roles service account is actually making the...
    • 7 Feb 2017

Securing your Active Directory Environment from the Inside Out. (Part 2)

In my previous post, I touched on how you can identify users in AD with elevated rights . Now we need to determine if they're really necessary. Step 2: Identifying what rights are needed for the job. I can't begin to tell you how many companies that I've talked with who give out Domain Admin rights like candy. I've seen Sr. Admins with it, I've seen Jr. Admins with it, heck I've seen Help...
    • 3 Feb 2017

Securing your Active Directory Environment from the Inside Out. (Part 1)

In speaking with a lot of my customers, the topic of "How can I better secure my Active Directory environment ?" always seems to come up. There are several ways to answer this question, but today I want to focus on the one that seems to be overlooked most often: privileged user accounts. I've always compared privileged users to teenagers. Can you really trust that they're using the best judgement?...
    • 3 Feb 2017

Investigating Account Lockouts with IT Security Search

One of the tools that Active Directory administrators have to help mitigate brute force hacking attempts is the account lockout. Typically configured in a Group Policy, the account lockout policy tallies the number of failed authentication attempts for an account, and if it exceeds a threshold locks the account and prevents it from being used. Typically account lockouts are caused by an end user forgetting a password...
    • 31 Jan 2017

Active Directory Management and Azure AD: A Perfect Match

It just seemed to me a perfect superhero team like the Wonder Twins could also represent Quest Active Administrator and Microsoft Azure AD . The Quest Active Administrator is a single plane of glass tool for DNS, GPO, and AD management . The tool combines typical and advanced functions for these objects plus auditing and alerting, backup and recovery, and DC management. Just like the Wonder Twins; Quest Active Administrator...
    • 31 Jan 2017

What's a Mailbox Collection?

In Migration Manager for Exchange we use a collection to manage the mailboxes to be migrated. Depending on your migration plan you can use these collections for specific tasks or stages. To provide flexibility, the mailboxes to be synchronized are grouped into mailbox synchronization collections. A mailbox synchronization job can handle multiple collections. Each of these collections has its settings, including the mailbox...
    • 31 Jan 2017

We’re Up on Office 365. What’s Next?

Perhaps it wasn’t your decision for your organization to migrate to Office 365. Yet, the decision was made, and what followed was a significant amount of planning and heavy lifting to get your IT environment optimized (specifically Active Directory) for a cloud migration . Congratulations – you survived. What’s next? Post-migration, I generally get questions from IT professionals about the security...
    • 31 Jan 2017

The Often Overlooked Functionality of Change Auditor

For those who are unfamiliar with Change Auditor , it is the auditing solution offered by Quest. The solution offers a wide range of auditing capabilities to help provide a view into what changes are occurring within your environment. Unfortunately, the more I interact with my customers, the more I start to realize that very few are using the product to its full potential. I wanted to take some time to inform Change Auditor...
More Content