This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Computer object migration in 8.13

Trying to determine the most "efficient" way to migrate computer objects and the articles in the forum are a little bit confusing (this is how I see it at the moment). The requirement is for the new computer objects to be created in a single OU in the target domain (no OU structure to be carried over from the source domain), while there is a possibility that some computer objects have to be renamed. The approach used in the past (do not recall the exact MM and RUM versions) was to create text lists with source and target computer names and create migration sessions. This way we had the option to either use pre-created computer objects (in disabled mode) or create the computer objects on the fly.

I am trying to understand if this approach is still valid (and if not, why not. I read somewhere that this approach is causing issues). On the other hand I am strongly tempted to use the RUM to create the computer objects, however I am not sure how to use the text lists. The documentation describes the format for selecting computer objects using a text file, but not for the renaming. Even more, how to specifically create a computer object in RUM with name different from the source (e.g. if the target computer name already exists)

Thank you in advance

• RUM can create the computer objects during a domain move task. RUM can migrate a computer to an existing migrated computer object. RUM can rename computers with a rename task. You can not do a simultaneous move and rename with RUM. You can not use RUM to rename an object that already exists in the target.

You can use an import file to migrate the computer objects with the QMM Console which creates the objects on the target as disabled. Your import file to copy the objects to their intended destination per migration job woud look like this (tab delimited):

sAMAccountName sAMAccountName cn name
    PCNameHere$ PCNameHere$ PCNameHere PCNameHere

If you must rename, rename the computers with RUM. Your import file to rename would look like this for RUM (tab delimited):

CurrentComputerName NewComputerName

Be cautious renaming computers. You could break scripts or legacy apps that are hard coded. Also, you never know what the users are sharing from their PCs, especially if they have admin rights. You can break more than the benefit of a PC rename. If you must rename, CNAMEs will be your best friend, and don't forget about strictNameChecking.

If you must rename, you have two options with QMMAD.

1. If you know which objects need to be renamed due to conflict on the target: Rename on the source with RUM, use QMM to migrate the renamed computer object to the target, then use RUM to move the computer.
    2. If you are unsure of conflicts in the target, use QMM to migrate the computer objects to the target (this will help you identify if you have conflicting objects in the target if you choose 'Never Merge'), use RUM to move the computer, and then use RUM to rename.

Last but not least, supporting documentation, straight from page 24 of the Resource Processing Guide...
    support.quest.com/.../downloads

Renaming Computers
    By default, when computers are migrated from the source to the target domain their names are not changed. However, you can choose to rename the computers in the target domain.