This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Moving backup set to a new server

Inherited a new client that was formerly using NetVault 11.0.0.52. I've never used this software before. Client no longer has a backup server, but the storage drive is still available. I need to restore a folder that is located in the backup set.  I installed their copy of NetVault and attached the disk drive, but I don't know how to import the data into NetVault so I can restore the folders. All the documentation I can find is for creating new devices.

Do I need to add the client server first and create a backup job? 

I know that the old backup server was a Win7 desktop and that's what I'm using to try to retrieve the data. The backup set is located in D:\servername\filename

Thanks for any assistance.

• Hello.

The client will need to have a NetVault Backup Server to facilitate the restore to its intended destination.
    If this restore is still possible, it would require the following.

1.) A NetVault backup server with the same name, and same version of NV as the original NetVault backup server
    2.) A backup of the NetVault Database on either VTL, Disk appliance, or Tape
    3.) Assuming #2, would indicate that we have a device to restore it with
    4.) The client then added to the NV Server of the same name it was previously
    5.) Another NV client on a different server if the plan is to restore to a different client

These would be the pre-requisites to make a restore request like this work. We cannot restore data with just a client alone, nor can we restore a backup set that belongs to a different backup server as it would not recognize the index.

If you have a Support contract with us, it would be best to open up a Service Request for this issue for a proper assessment of the issue.
    support.quest.com/contact-support