This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is the difference between a VTL and a Standalone Device?

Is this more about how many streams and simultaneous connections can be open at one time?  I have a DR4300 and it will only accommodate four VTLs.  I thought I was supposed to make a VTL for every backup I did, each server having it's own VTL on a big NAS somewhere (when you don't have an appliance.)  On top of that, page 6 in the Best Practices for VTL manual looks like VTL is better than a regular NetVault Backup VTL.

My point is that if I want to organize the way I want, I have to use the NVBU VTL.  I also don't want to lose any compression the DR gives.

Parents
  • Ok, because in our case, we use VTL only for AIX because it's not compatible with RDA protocol. And we notice that in term of performance it's not very good, actually we have also issue with datacopy between VTL & DR container. For other data (VM, Filesystem, MSSQL..) we only use RDA Container and it's very effective (also you dont have to create VTL media.. or drive... all the container is used, the backup use max. stream limit)
  • Ok, because in our case, we use VTL only for AIX because it's not compatible with RDA protocol. And we notice that in term of performance it's not very good, actually we have also issue with datacopy between VTL & DR container. For other data (VM, Filesystem, MSSQL..) we only use RDA Container and it's very effective (also you dont have to create VTL media.. or drive... all the container is used, the backup use max. stream limit)
Children
No Data