This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is there any good technical documentation for the Linux agent

I stumbled across a previous discussion where it was mentioned that the new 6.x agent reserves 20% in each protected Linux filesystem. This almost caused a potentially embarrassing situation when I deployed our first AppAssure system to several Linux servers a few months back.

So I am looking to answer some basic questions such as:

On Oracle Linux 6 (Redhat based distrib) there are frequent "unbreakable" Linux Kernel updates. For the last two months I have beeb skipping the kernel updates. Still, when updating the kernel, do I need to rerun the agent install and or reconfigure for the new kernel?

I anticipate in the future moving Linux VM machines between different cores. Is this documented anywhere?

Basically looking for a good technical document dealing with the inevitable adds, moves, and changes I will be handling in the future.

TIA,

Patrick

• Hello Patrick,

#1 - You need 15% free space for the COW (Copy-on-write) datastore on the agent. This allows all the writes that were meant to be written to the disk during the backup process to be written to this location while the disk is in a frozen state.

#2 - The AppAssure and Rapid Recovery agents for Linux both use DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) to auto-compile our kernel module upon a kernel update. So you do not need to re-install the agent. DKMS hooks into the kernel package install process and compiles the kernel automatically.

#3 - There is no documentation yet to cover the process of moving Linux VM's (agents) between cores. However I can detail some of that here.
    a) Stop the agent service
    service rapidrecovery-agent stop OR
    systemctl stop rapidrecovery-agent

b) Backup the agentID
    cp /root/.mono/registry/CurrentUser/software/apprecovery/agent/agentid/values.xml ~/values-backup.xml

c) Remove the registry that points to the old core settings
    cd /root/; rm -rf .mono .config/.mono .config/apprecovery

d) Start the Rapid Recovery Service to generate new registry settings
    service rapidrecovery-agent start OR
    systemctl start rapidrecovery-agent

e) Stop the agent service to add the old AgentID so that if you have also moved recovery points, the agent will recognize them and continue where it left off .
    service rapidrecovery-agent stop OR
    systemctl stop rapidrecovery-agent
    mv -f ~/values-backup.xml /root/.mono/registry/CurrentUser/software/apprecovery/agent/agentid/values.xml

f) Start the agent service and protect the agent to the new core
    service rapidrecovery-agent start OR
    systemctl start rapidrecovery-agent