This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Graceful Shutdown KB119400

I have to physically move my RR core server to a new location and I am reading a lot of people with problems after a shutdown and restart. I also read similar issues with AA but never personally experienced them with the old core or the protected servers and we restarted it all the time.

Is it safe to assume that as long as no backups or rollups or anything else is running that I can just shut the server down and restart it in the new location?

I tried to access KB119400 but I am still having login issues. I'm not sure I really need it.

Thanks.

• The graceful shut down ensures that the Core.Service.exe process is terminated cleanly by issuing a stop commanded in services.msc for the Rapid Recovery Core Service. Once stopped, and the process removed from Task Manager the OS can be shut down. Once practice that I do is disable the Core service in services.msc before issuing the stop command and I'll leave it disabled until the OS completely loaded after a reboot.

The KB provides the following steps for a graceful shutdown:

Prerequisites:

If using PowerShell commands, they must be ran from a PowerShell elevated command prompt. If the Core operating system is 2008 or 2008 R2, you must first import the Core PowerShell Module. Enter the following command and then press Enter:

AppAssure: ipmo app*
    Rapid Recovery: ipmo rap*
    Stop the Core Service:

Check to see if there are active jobs on the core:
    Web UI: Go to Events and filter on Active Jobs
    PowerShell: get-activejobs –all
    If there no active jobs skip to Step 3. If there are active jobs, best practice recommends wait until they complete or cancel them. To cancel active job:
    Web UI: Select each job, expand to see details, and cancel the job. Repeat for each individual job until there are no active jobs
    PowerShell: stop-activejobs –all, repeat until there are no active jobs.
    NOTE:
    If you have an active core you should suspend all Transfer, Replication, Virtual Standby, and Scheduled Archive jobs. Otherwise, every time you cancel active jobs, new jobs may begin.
    If you cancel an active export, the next export will be a full export, not an incremental export.
    Stop the Core Service:
    o AppAssure:
    Open Services, select AppAssure Core Service and click Stop.
    PowerShell: stop-service appassurecore
    o Rapid Recovery:
    Open Services, select Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery Core Service and click Stop.
    PowerShell: stop-service rapidrecoverycore
    Start the Core Service:

Start the Core Service:
    AppAssure:
    Open Services, select AppAssure Core Service and click Start.
    PowerShell: start-service appassurecore
    Rapid Recovery:
    Open Services, select Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery Core Service and click Start.
    PowerShell: start-service rapidrecoverycore
    Resume all jobs that were paused when stopping the Core Service.
  • Thanks for the KB and tip. I'll give it a shot.