This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can someone explain R3 Repo

Can someone explain R3 Repo?

I see it on our Dl4000, All i can find suggests its for data which is not ready to be archived yet, but what doesthat mean?

Old points are automatically moved over to this repo, i have to manually move them? does it then move all in the chain?

Must be some information somewhere, maybe i just cant find it?

Thanks

• I think this was a v6 feature that never made it into the product.

en.community.dell.com/.../
  • Its a feature of the DL4000 and 6.1, and documents say its there. But no real understanding of what its for/does or how to use

• Quest, is that true? R3 repos' are only available on the DL4000?

r3 was a new type of repository when I saw it. It was an option you had to select when creating a repository. The link I sent has a bit of info about it. It was supposed to improve performance and reliability of the core if it was using a r3 vs dvm.
  • Sorry, I kind of hijacked your thread. It definitely looks like the R3 repository in 6.1 is different than what was planned in beta. And the use is very vague.
  • Hi Stephen:

You are now able to have a secondary storage. This storage is either a physical or virtual DR Appliance with the latest Firmware (v4.x).

This is how it works:

1. You add the DR Appliance as a R3 repository

2. In the Core Retention Policy set up how long recovery points should be kept in the DVM repository before being moved to the DR appliance.

3.  In the Recovery Points tab you will see (at least) 2 base images (one on the DVM, the other on the DR Appliance). You can use transparently both recovery points chains. 

The nice thing is that you may have multiple cores using a physical DL appliance as secondary storage. The DL Appliance is very efficient and has great deduplication. At the same time, it does rollups. If you have a long retention policy this may be the way to go.