This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrade from 5.4.3 to the latest version on a DL with two core servers

Like many others I'm going to need to upgrade from 5.4.3 to the latest version sometime in the next few months.  We run two DL4000 with replication between the two.  How do I go about it?  I've read the how to upgrade from 5.4.x to 6.x doc so as I understand it I do the target box first?  So do I do all the steps in the "upgrading cores" section of the Doc on the target then run the RUU and then do the same thing and run the 6.1.2 updater?  Then once that is done repeat on the source core?  I could do with it not going wrong as our target core is at a site about 300 miles away!

• Hi dtghelp:
    Your DL4000 came with enterprise iDrac already licensed so you should be able to work on them under any circumstances.
    Thse being said, I would suggest the following upgrade steps:

On the target core:
    0. Disable the AppAssureCore service and stop it.
    1. Run the latest RUU (no need to run the Rapid Recovery installer yet)
    2. Update the storage and networking drivers (if available) -- no need to reboot. You will not lose RDP connection for more than a few seconds.
    3. Update the networking, drivers and hard drives firmware (in this order)
    4. Reboot
    5. Install the Rapid Recovery 6.1.2 software. WAIT FOR THE FULL REPOSITORY CHECK TO FINISH (I shouted as this operation is performed by default)

On the source core do the same as on the target. You can work in parallel (allow the target to get on line first).

NOTE: You can find the drivers and firmware on the DELL Support site; your DL4000 is a R620 server.

Please let us know how it goes.
  • ok I'll give it a whirl. We currently lease our kit and the lease ends in November we'll probably go for new kit, so just a quick Q. How is best to move the current repos to the new kit?
  • Not sure what you mean by a new kit. I assume that you meant new DL appliances. The answer is that in most cases it takes too long to copy a repository from one machine to another. The best solution is to move the repository via local replication. It is a simple operation which goes at its own pace and allows moving recovery points in an organized manner. Please open a service ticket (or give us a shout) when the time comes and we will help you out!
  • yeah new DL's or a box running rapid recovery our repos is about 12Tb. The lease runs until December so we'll need to sort some new boxes out a few months before then to give us time to get things moved to the new kit. We'll get two new boxes delivered to our site and configure one to go off site. So I take it you mean add two new servers as replication targets get the repos replicated across then take one off site to replace the old offsite box and replace the current source at our site with its replacement and then decommission the two old servers? Or something like that!
  • Yup -- you are correct. There are a few delicate version specific points that may or may not come up during the process but we will discuss them at that time as they may change.
  • ok we're now ready to do the upgrade we have the new DL4300s onsite and are both running the latest version