This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Direct Connect Restore Failure

Hi All,

So I tried to recover to a spare server from my core using a crossover cable and a spare NIC but it fails.

It seems to go as expected. It sees the DR server booted with the USB, maps the volumes and starts the recovery but then fails with a "THE CORE IS UNREACHABLE VIA (regular LAN address of core here).

So for example I assigned a static IP outside of my LAN to a spare NIC on the server, lets call it 10.10.10.1
I then assigned the NIC on the USB booted DR server an address of 10.10.10.2

The recovery console forced me to add a gateway and DNS to the DR address so I used the core IP.

From the core I started a recovery and added the DR server address of 10.10.10.2 which it found and mapped the drives. However when the recovery fails it fails referencing the regular LAN IP of the core. In this case we can call it 172.16.16.1 as an example. The point is it's not the IP's used in the recovery process.

Am I missing something here?

• The issue is most likely the Replay Engine IP address is set to auto detect. The Replay Engine is what mounts the recovery point and streams the data to the recovery console on the boot image. Auto detect means it is going to default to the IP address of the first NIC in the binding order. If you use a secondary NIC for restore the agent will be able to connect with the core but the Replay Engine won't be able to stream data since it's using an IP on a different network. Once you manually specify the IP on the same network as the recovery console, it should work without issue. The Replay Engine IP setting is in the core console in the settings page.

Don't forget to change the IP back once you're done with the restore so that rollback or restore to agents on the production network will work.
  • Putting them all on one network is already what I have. The idea was to restore on a secondary network directly to keep it off the LAN.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

• Set the IP of the Replay Engine to whatever network you want to restore on. So if your prod network is 10.10.10.x and your backup network is 192.168.0.x then set the Replay Engine IP to the IP address used by the core in the 192.168.0.x network. That simply tells the core to "use this IP when performing a restore". Once you've made that change, the restore on the backup network will work.
  • This may work but I put this off until I have more time. Selected as a correct answer as it likely would work.

Thanks.