ApexSQL Complete confused, shows unwanted dialogs when running two instances of SSMS despite each instance working with a different database catalog instance

Hi, has anyone come across this?

ApexSQL Complete appears to be confused. It shows unwanted dialogs when I’m running two instances of SSMS despite each instance working with a different database catalog instance. It thinks I might be interested in changes I’ve made in the other instance.

SSMS is the latest version v18.6.

Parents
  • Hi! Any chance you can share the dialogs that comes up in this scenario?

• How do I insert an image for you from my file system? Anyway, it's just a normal "file has unsaved changes inside this editor and has been changed externally" dialog. This would be fine except that the "externally" is me intentionally editing SQL in a completely different database instance in the other instance of SSMS. The dialog is only relevant when the two editors are working with the same file for the same database instance. Surely the ApexSql extensions are keeping the sessions distinct when the databases they are working on are distinct?

• How do I insert an image for you from my file system? Anyway, it's just a normal "file has unsaved changes inside this editor and has been changed externally" dialog. This would be fine except that the "externally" is me intentionally editing SQL in a completely different database instance in the other instance of SSMS. The dialog is only relevant when the two editors are working with the same file for the same database instance. Surely the ApexSql extensions are keeping the sessions distinct when the databases they are working on are distinct?

Children
  • I've also been getting an exception dialog in SSMS lately. This dialog also occurs whenever I have two instances of SSMS running, but it even occurs when I have no editors open in either instance. It says: "An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension. You can get more information by examining the file ,,, ActivityLog.xml".

• Thanks for the details. 

Have you tried connecting to all your SQL instances with only one SSMS and confirm that the behavior continues?

This can be addressed better if a direct Service Request is created. Any chance you can log into support.quest.com and create a Service Request with these details so we can involve dev on this?