ApexSQL Refactor no longer free as of Nov. 2 release notes?

Is it true that I will now need to buy a $399 Fundamentals toolkit in order to continue using ApexSQL refactor?!

• Hi Jeff, this is correct. You will be able to keep using the ApexSQL Refactor installed in your system. To get newest updates, a Fundamentals Toolkit license will be required. 

• Please feel free to pass on the customer dissatisfaction to whichever Pointy Headed Bosses (PHBs) made this decision.

I have been a huge fan of SQL Prompt from your competitor, Redgate, for years. However, I could only use Redgate's products when an employer was willing to pay for it as I cannot justify the expense for a personal license. Thus I was thrilled when I discovered ApexSQL's Complete and Refactor products. Nearly as good as SQL Prompt and free at that. I even enthusiastically recommended your options to fellow SQL Server DBAs and SQL Server Developers as alternatives to Redgate.

Since that is no longer the case, now it is back to finding yet another alternative again. If I have to pay for a license, then I will pay for the better product: Redgate's SQL Prompt. I will also no longer recommend ApexSQL.

The PHBs that made this decision should be canned.

• Off to find another solution from another company. Gotta love the merciless attitude towards trying to force us to shell out $400 for all the other useless junk just so we can keep using what we actually need.

• Hello,

As part of Quest Support, we're sorry for your discomfort with this new direction our business strategy has taken.

This decision was made to focus resources to improve our development on our tools and give you a better experience as a customer.

We hope you keep enjoying our other products at Quest.