The transaction log for database 'AfterMail_TEMP' is full due to 'LOG_BACKUP'.

I am getting error The transaction log for database 'AfterMail_TEMP' is full due to 'LOG_BACKUP'.

I checked the SQl server and it seems the disk where i placed after_mail log files has grown large and is full. How to move or generate new files in another disk location ?

• To move or generate new log files in another disk location, you can follow these steps:

Detach the database.
    Move the log files to the new location.
    Attach the database, specifying the new location of the log files.
    Here are the detailed steps:

Detach the database.
    To detach the database, you can use the following SQL statement:

SQL
    ALTER DATABASE [AfterMail_TEMP] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE;
    GO

EXEC sp_detach_db [AfterMail_TEMP];
    GO

Move the log files to the new location.
    Once the database is detached, you can move the log files to the new location. The log files are typically located in the \MSSQL\DATA\<database_name> directory.

Attach the database, specifying the new location of the log files.
    To attach the database, you can use the following SQL statement:

SQL
    CREATE DATABASE [AfterMail_TEMP]
    ON PRIMARY (
    NAME = N'<new_log_file_location>',
    FILENAME = N'<new_log_file_name>',
    SIZE = <new_log_file_size> MB
    );
    GO

ALTER DATABASE [AfterMail_TEMP] SET MULTI_USER;
    GO

For example, if you are moving the log files to the D:\LOGS directory, you would use the following SQL statement:

SQL
    CREATE DATABASE [AfterMail_TEMP]
    ON PRIMARY (
    NAME = N'D:\LOGS\AfterMail_TEMP_log',
    FILENAME = N'D:\LOGS\AfterMail_TEMP_log.ldf',
    SIZE = 100 MB
    );
    GO

GO
    Once the database is attached, you can check the transaction log to make sure that it is empty. You can do this by using the following SQL statement:

SQL
    SELECT FILE_ID, NAME, TYPE_DESC, SIZE, MAX_SIZE, FILEGROWTH, LOG_GROWTH, USED_SPACE
    FROM sys.database_files;
    GO

The USED_SPACE column should be zero for the transaction log file.

I hope this helps!

• Here's how you can move or generate new after_mail log files in another disk location:

1. Detach the database:

SQL
    ALTER DATABASE [AfterMail_TEMP] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE;
    GO
    EXEC sp_detach_db [AfterMail_TEMP];
    GO

2. Move the log files:

Once detached, locate the log files which are typically in the \MSSQL\DATA\<database_name> directory. Move these files to the desired location on the other disk.

3. Attach the database with the new log file location:

SQL
    CREATE DATABASE [AfterMail_TEMP] ON
    PRIMARY ( NAME = N'<new_log_file_location>', FILENAME = N'<new_log_file_name>', SIZE =
    <new_log_file_size> MB );
    GO
    GO

Replace the following values:

• <new_log_file_location>: Path to the new location on the other disk.
      • <new_log_file_name>: Desired name for the new log file.
      • <new_log_file_size>: Size of the new log file in megabytes.

Optional: Generate new log files:

If you want to start from scratch with new log files, you can delete the existing log files before attaching the database. This will cause AfterMail to generate new log files in the new location.

Here are some additional tips:

• Ensure the new disk has enough free space to accommodate the log files.
      • Grant the necessary permissions to the SQL Server service account for accessing the new log file location.
      • Consider scheduling regular backups of the log files to prevent data loss.
      • After migrating the log files, monitor AfterMail for any errors or performance issues related to the new location.

By following these steps, you can successfully move or generate new after_mail log files in another disk location and resolve the "transaction log full" error.

• Certainly, you can move or generate new transaction log files for the AfterMail_TEMP database to another disk location to address the full disk issue. Here's how to do it:

Method 1: Using ALTER DATABASE

1. Attach the database: If the database is currently detached, attach it using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). Right-click on the Databases folder, select "Attach", and browse to the AfterMail_TEMP database file (.MDF).

1. Modify the transaction log file path: Open a new query window in SSMS and execute the following command, replacing "D:\AfterMail\Logs" with the desired location for the new transaction log files:

SQL
    ALTER DATABASE AfterMail_TEMP
    MODIFY FILE (NAME = LDF1, FILENAME = 'D:\AfterMail\Logs\AfterMail_TEMP.LDF')

1. Restart the SQL Server service: Restart the SQL Server service to apply the changes to the transaction log file path. This will cause the database to start using the new log files in the specified location.

Method 2: Using RESTORE WITH MOVE

1. Create a backup: Take a full backup of the AfterMail_TEMP database using the RESTORE DATABASE statement, specifying a backup device and the WITH MOVE option to move the transaction log files to the desired location.
    SQL
    RESTORE DATABASE AfterMail_TEMP
    FROM DISK = 'D:\AfterMail\Backups\AfterMail_TEMP.bak'
    WITH MOVE 'AfterMail_TEMP' TO 'D:\AfterMail\Logs\AfterMail_TEMP.LDF',
      MOVE 'AfterMail_TEMP_mod' TO 'D:\AfterMail\Logs\AfterMail_TEMP_mod.LDF'

1. Detach and attach the database: Detach the database using SSMS and then attach it again. This will ensure that the database is using the newly created transaction log files in the specified location.

Remember to restart the SQL Server service after detaching and attaching the database.

Once you have moved the transaction log files to another disk location, you should periodically monitor the disk space usage to ensure that there is enough space available for the log files to grow. You can also consider implementing a log shipping strategy to offload the transaction log backups omegle to shagle a separate server or storage location to further optimize space utilization.

• Thanks. I have a AM database size of 3 TB and AfterMail_TEMP db of 26 GB. How much should i dedicate or what should be configuration of my transaction logs i am creating in new location? should i go with the default values?  

• If you need to do a post mortem and find info after the fact, the default trace is really useful. It will capture file growth events and give you a user, hostname and processid, so you can tell whether its an app misbehaving or a person doing something silly.

• I ran into this exact bug when I played in the closed alpha. Rebooted the game and it started in the correct place. However, that test was over two months ago. The fact that nobody fixed it is insane.