SQL Performance Investigator (SQL-PI) is an extension to the standard Foglight for SQL Server Cartridge, and adds Real-time and historical data.
If you have used Performance Analysis for SQL Server, then SQL Performance Investigator should look very familiar to you.
Detailed instructions on how to enable the SQL PI Extensions:
- To add the SQLPI extension, Log into the Foglight web console with the ‘foglight’ user and click on Databases to access the databases dashboard.
- Check box the agent or agents for adding the extension. (This process can assign the feature to multiple agents simultaneously. These agents should not have the PI indicator listed under monitoring status, powered by. Keep in mind selecting multiple agents will get assigned to the same repository)
- Click settings and administrator to access the Databases Administration dashboard
- Find SQL Performance Investigator and select it to enter the PI admin screen
- The SQL Performance Investigator administration screen allows enabling and disabling the SQL PI extension for the SQL Server agents.There are some requirements to adhere listed in the Sizing guide.
- If the unlicensed notice is showing, there is a need to obtain at least a trial key for this SQLPI extension add on. Licensing information and a listing of key features are also included and accessible from the screen.
- The repository needs assigning for the agent or agents. Click Assign.
- The SQLPI screen displays the agent managers reporting into the Foglight that are candidates for hosting PI repositories to assign to agent or agents.
- Select the Agent Manager and click apply. The procedure will verify the system resources. If the resources don’t check out, another indication will pop up with some options
- Upon successful completion, the process will assign the SQLPI repository host to all the selected agents listed on the screen but Enabling PI to first the selected agent. To enable PI on the remaining agents (If applicable), check box the remaining agent and click enable SQL PI
- Click apply to accept the highlighted host. (Changing the SQLPI repository in this step will override the original repository selection for the agents)
- Once the verification is done the SQLPI indicator is active. Click save changes and a dialogue pops up with a section to add comments about the installation.
- SQLPI is now active on the selected agents while listing its PI repository hosts
The PI feature is also reflected on the databases dashboards. Under Monitoring Powered by should illuminate the green SQLPI indicator. The agents since now containing the SQL PI add on will also be referenced in the Databases SQLPI dashboards.
SQL Performance Investigator does require an add-on license, which can be obtained by contacting your sales rep.
The link below contains a video version of the information above.