Deep Thoughts by Dave Orlandi (SNL reference....kidding, I kid.)
A couple of weeks ago, I was able to attend the Postgres conference in Chicago - PGDay. It was an intimate affair...maybe 100 attendees...but those who participated were able to absorb some great Postgres sessions.
I was able to sit in on a couple of them and I thought I would share one session in particular.
**(This is a very small subset of information shared...I wasn't able to write notes fast enough...)
Postgres v. 16 Preview - Magnus Hagander from Redpill Linpro (Stockholm, Sweden):
Magnus reviewed four main areas of improvement in Postgres to come in version 16.
- SQL / Development
- Backup / Replication
Some highlights from the first 3 topics above…
- More detail from pg_stat_io
- SQL Standard JSON constructors and predicates
- pg_dump – compression support
- Logical Replication
- Parallel workers on subscriptions
- New role – create_sub for Security *(run as table owner vs SuperUser)
- Can replicate from standby
- Runs FASTER (up to 26x!) (Faster memory management)
- Explicit SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) support
- Group By / Distinct (smarter sort orders)
I encourage you to attend an upcoming Postgres conference. If you do, please visit the Quest booth.
DC – June 6 - https://events.enterprisedb.com/event/f42c0bd2-fdee-4ea9-964d-91a2cb981c56/summary?RefId=web
Dallas – June 15 - https://events.enterprisedb.com/event/3cf3e3f5-c0fd-49fc-bb1f-87bf231bbb79/summary?RefId=web
NYC – July 24 - https://events.enterprisedb.com/event/5d15c626-a174-4ae9-8114-7c39901ff88b/summary?RefId=web
Chicago – July 31 - https://events.enterprisedb.com/event/5d7163ce-c55d-4ef3-ba7f-9d243e19a52b/summary?RefId=web