SQL direct DB connection error

For a DR test to validate backups, I had a SQL admin restore the ChangeAuditor DB from the most recent backup to a DB with another name (ex. CAADrestore) on the same SQL server as the production database. I verified permissions and could browse tables, run queries, etc. using SQL Mgmt Studio. However, using the ChangeAuditor client, when I create a Database Direct manual connection profile with all the expected parameters (Test passes) and attempt to connect, it hangs for approximately 30 mins and throws a popup "The communication object. System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the faulted state.".  I only have Show Stack Trace and Exit Application as options. The Show Stack Trace text is very generic - 4Kb. I can post it necessary.

I tried connections with FQDN of the server and NetBIOS name, Credential = No and Yes but same results.

We have done this successfully before (a year ago) as part of our procedures. The User Guide doesn't really have any troubleshooting information and I'm not sure what logs to look at to see what/where the issue may be. Perhaps, it's some .NET incompatibility because we're running an older version - 6.5? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Parents
  • Have you looked at the Coordinator log (right click the Coordinator icon on the task bar of your Coordinator host) to see if there are any more details about this error condition?

• I just checked ChangeAuditor.Service.exe.nptlog for the past 12hrs, 90% of the events are: Adding xx events to task queue for SQL upload, current task queue size = 0. There were a few entries where I was authenticated and deauthenticated from connecting. A couple "Update group list" and associated tasks along with a few topology updates.  This domain isn't very busy so I don't expect a lot of entries. The logs might have to be put temporarily into debug/verbose mode - I'd have to dig up some old case notes for the hotkeys to enable.

Edit: found some notes on debug mode but it's for agents but not the coordinator.

Capture ChangeAuditor debug info:

ChangeAuditor.dll.TraceLogConfig.xml - change priority value -> debug (from info)

run: C:\Program Files\Quest Software\ChangeAuditor\Agent\ServiceStatusTray.exe

ALT-M

Agent Systray tab - change Display advanced event status: 0 -> 1

Active Directory tab - change Log level: 3 -> 7; number of files 5 -> 10

• I just checked ChangeAuditor.Service.exe.nptlog for the past 12hrs, 90% of the events are: Adding xx events to task queue for SQL upload, current task queue size = 0. There were a few entries where I was authenticated and deauthenticated from connecting. A couple "Update group list" and associated tasks along with a few topology updates.  This domain isn't very busy so I don't expect a lot of entries. The logs might have to be put temporarily into debug/verbose mode - I'd have to dig up some old case notes for the hotkeys to enable.

Edit: found some notes on debug mode but it's for agents but not the coordinator.

Capture ChangeAuditor debug info:

ChangeAuditor.dll.TraceLogConfig.xml - change priority value -> debug (from info)

run: C:\Program Files\Quest Software\ChangeAuditor\Agent\ServiceStatusTray.exe

ALT-M

Agent Systray tab - change Display advanced event status: 0 -> 1

Active Directory tab - change Log level: 3 -> 7; number of files 5 -> 10

Children
No Data