This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Validation Logic Rules: can't select "independent (or)"

I've created a rule (if files doesn't exist) - I have selected the "OR" option, but it's showing up as an "AND". - I've tried deleing the element, recreating it... but the OR never sticks.

I'm running version 10.0.. but remember having this exact same problem with previous versions.

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Why!??!

• Some combinations of Boolean logical operators are not allowed. “OR NOT” is one that will not work. It will automatically be changed to “AND NOT”.
    Here are some examples:

You cannot create:
    • IF, OR, AND
    • IF, OR NOT

You can create:
    • IF, AND, AND…
    • IF, OR, OR…
    • IF, OR, OR…, AND NOT, AND NOT…
    • IF, AND, AND …, AND NOT, AND NOT…

How to use Validation Logic Operators:
    https://support.quest.com/desktop-authority/kb/sl4152

• There is a way to beat the limitations. What we usually do is nested rules. Create an outer profile that has validation logic to check for the file not existing, that way the inner elements won't even fire until that check is out of the way.

I have to do that when mixing AND's and 'OR's as well....such as - if member of group1 OR group 2 AND file exists then do...

In order to do that example, the outer profile just checks for membership in either of the groups. Then the element itself only checks for file existence... makes it all work, and its easier to check the logs to see where it is failing if it does.

Hope that helps!
    Mark