This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Changing the Blocking minimum duration if SQL PI is enabled.

I'm a bit confused with how much time must pass with a blocked SPID before Foglight grabs it?

I'll see something in SQL Server' activity monitor show blocking but on a lot of occasions Foglight' SQL PI won't pick it up.  

I did some digging and found a setting in "Administration -> Locks -> Blocking History" to change the "Minimal Duration (seconds)" from 90 to whatever.  We have some servers that the end users want to know of any blocking for 15 seconds or longer.  I will tweak this of course but wanted to test it.

I changed it to 15 seconds, saved it then something told me to hover over the "i" icon next to "Locks" to see what that says.  Below is what the icon says:

I have SQL PI enabled & I really need the blocking to be set to LESS THAN 90 seconds.  How do I do that??

•  It appears my second screenshot isn't working but when hovering over the i the following is stated in the dialog box:

"Note: When SQL PI is enabled, the minimum duration setting is ignored."

I really need to get this minimum duration adjusted even though I have SQL PI enabled.

• When PI is enabled, the setting is ignored because PI captures ALL blocking lock scenario's regardless of duration.  These can be viewed on the "Blocking History" tab of the SQL PI drilldown as seen below.  Hopefully this helps!

• I'm finding this not to be true. I will observe blocking going on within SQL Server' activity monitor but the same blocking will not show up in Foglight. I figured it was because the blocking I noticed in the activity monitor was usually 15 seconds or less. Hence why it wasn't showing up in Foglight. I figured it was a setting somewhere that needed adjusted. Still at a loss.
  • If you are not seeing this on the tab shown above, there must be something going on with the data collection. I'd recommend a support ticket so we can investigate further.